Chapter 51 - Suspicious Behaviour

Lily’s POV

“How was work today?”

I’m sat in my bed, the evening sky darkening around me as I sit on the window bench in my bedroom, my phone against my ear. Harry had called me as soon as he got home from the studio.

Busy,” Harry replies. “They really want us to finish this album soon. I mean, I love writing new music and recording and everything but I hate how I don’t have enough time this week to hang out.” He pauses. “Especially with you.”

I bite my lip, holding back my smile as I look out the window.

It’s been three days since the night at our spot, the night that Harry gave me his ring back. Since then, I would always find myself absentmindedly playing with it as it hangs around my neck, just like I am now.

We’ve talked every day since that night, either through text or a phone call. Things were going well. I’m more comfortable talking to him, just like how things were back when we started getting to know each other.

Ever since that night at our spot, I’ve been waiting for the day that I would get to hang out with Harry. The last time that we hung out, just the two of us, was the night at El’s when we had played our songs that we wrote about each other. I will always cherish that night as one of the most memorable moments I’ve had here. Now, I want that again. I want to do what I love to do with one of the people I care about the most. Playing seems to be something that brings us close together. We’re comfortable. We forget about everything else for a while.

“I know. I was hoping to see you sometime soon. I wanted to show you a song that I finished.”

Oh really? Is it about me?” he teases.

I roll my eyes but smile as I’m reminded of when Harry would always ask that question every time I tell him about a song that I’m writing or I’ve finished writing.

I laugh. “No, sorry, this time it isn’t.”

He laughs through the phone, the sound making my smile widen. “What’s it about, then?

“It’s about not falling for the glitz and the glam of the famous life. How I need to stay grounded and remember where I come from and how I don’t need the money and the free things that come with being famous to be happy. Those things may seem like the most important thing in life and everyone wants it but it doesn’t last. The important thing is doing what I love, hopefully making a change in the world or even in just one person’s life. And just reminding myself and everyone else that love is bigger than anything else out there.”

I take a deep breath and wait for Harry’s response. I bite my lip in anticipation. My songs are usually about love or heartbreak so this is different for me. This song is personal. This song is about me, for me. It’s a reminder to myself that the things that come with the famous life aren’t what I should be searching for to find happiness. It should be about doing what I love and sharing that with others.

That sounds like a lovely song, Lily. I can’t wait to hear it.”

I smile and look down at the ring that I’m still playing with. The moon reflects on the metal as I twirl it around on one of my fingers.

You can play it for me right now, if you want.”

I laugh. “Nice try. I might’ve back when I was still afraid to play in front of people but definitely won’t now.”

Why not?” he whines. I can practically hear him pout as he speaks.

I shrug, glad that Harry can’t see the blush colouring my cheeks. “I want to see your reaction when you hear it. I mean, I always want to see people’s reaction when they first hear one of my songs.”