Chapter 62 - Going Away Party

Lily’s POV

“It’s okay, Lily. Take your time.”

I take in a shaky breath and look over at Ed on the other side of the glass window of the studio. I look down at the lyrics in front of me, the microphone right in between.

I’ve been distracting myself these past two days, playing my guitar, going to the mall with the girls, doing whatever I can to ignore the paparazzi every time I go outside.

However, today, Ed had asked me about finishing our song. I didn’t really want to but I couldn’t bail out on Ed. He’s worked so hard on the song and he did so much for me to get this opportunity. I couldn't let it go to waste just because of some stupid drama.

I owed it to Ed. I had to finish this song for me.

That’s why I’m standing in the studio booth with a pair of headphones around my head and a microphone in front of my face.

I’m doing this for Ed. No one else.

“Are you ready?” I hear Ed’s voice through the headphones.

I nod. “Yeah.”

I can hear the familiar sound of the guitar through the headphones and I take in a deep breath to prepare myself for the song.

'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello."
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed”

“All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed.”

The music stops and I look back up at Ed.

“Good. That was good. Um…we just need to go over the first verse one more time, if that’s okay?”

I nod in response and quickly read through the first verse and I can feel my heart drop into my stomach. This is one of the parts that I’ve been hoping to avoid to sing today. But I have to push through it and this will all be finally over.

I can hear the opening strums of the guitar playing and I close my eyes and take a deep breath. For a second, I’m taken back to the moment that inspired this song and I quickly shake my head and open my eyes.

I take another deep breath.

All I knew this morning when I woke
Is I know something now, know something now I didn't before.”

“Have you read or seen the movie ‘Dear John’?” I ask Harry.

“No, I haven’t. Why?”

“There’s a quote in the movie that I absolutely love. “No matter where it is in the sky…no matter where you are in the world…the moon is never bigger than your thumb. It's a full moon here tonight, which makes me think of you. Because, I know that no matter what I am doing or where I am, this moon will always be the same size as yours, half a world away.” I know it doesn’t seem relevant right now but it just amazes me that no matter where you are, you’re looking that the same moon as everyone else. You get to share this small moment with complete strangers but you’re all looking at the same beautiful sight. I’d like to think that the one that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with is staring up the moon with me at the same time.”

I look over at him, seeing him looking up at the moon, looking deep in thought. I don’t know what it is about this moment, this entire day with Harry but I know that I’m going to remember it forever. It was surprising to see how easy it was to get along with Harry. He’s so sweet and has such a great sense of humour that there was never an awkward moment between us.