Chapter 74 - Empty

I walked out of Bio and leaned up against the wall, William was getting the homework that he missed yesterday, and I was waiting for him.

"Hey," Luke walked up to me.

"Hi." I responded with a tiny tiny voice.

"You gonna eat with me again today babe?" He leaned against the wall as well, facing me, smirking.

"No, my boyfriends back." I motioned to William, who was still in my bio class.

"Come on." Luke stood in front of me, and grabbed my waist pulling me up, and into him.

"No," I said stepping away. "I won't."

"C'mon, why not?" He persisted.

"I just, I...I... I'm..." I stammered. "Ok." I gave in, stepping forward. He took my hand again, and started walking me out of the school. I hung my head, as he opened the front door, and led me if to the bike racks. He let go of my hand as we got there, and once again, I simply sat down, this time, he sat beside me.

"Did you bring me lunch again sweetheart?" He asked lifting my head by my chin.

"In my bag." I answered, I didn't care. I couldn't care anymore, "just, there should be a note in there again, can you hand that to me?" I asked.

"Sure." He responded, pulling my lunch bag out of my backpack, he opened it, and handed me a folded piece of lined paper.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"In return," he picked me up by my waist, and placed me in between his legs, pulling me to lean against him, he finished by wrapping his arms around my torso. "This is where you'll sit." He started to talk to his friends, at this point completely ignoring me, then, my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I pulled it out, William was calling me.

"Hi." I picked up.

"Hey, um, Roo, where are you?" He asked, "because you said you'd wait for me, then you weren't at bio, so I went to lunch, and you weren't there either."

"Oh, sorry, I'm..." I was going to tell him where I was, but Luke took the phone out of my hand, laid on on the ground, and put it on speaker.

"Roo?" I heard his voice coming from my phone.

"Yeah?" I responded, and as I did this, Luke's grip on my torso increased.

"You were going to tell me where you were?" He redirected.

"Oh, yeah..." I started, but Luke finished.

"She's with me." He said.

"Luke? Luke Simmons?" William asked.

"Yep." He responded.

"Bike racks, awesome." With that William hung up, and I laughed a little.

"I should get up." I said, and attempted to stand up, but his increasingly harsh grip on my torso prevented that.

"Nope, is your boyfriend the jealous type?" He asked.

"I don't really know. Once he punched a guy for dancing with me at a party, so, yes?" I recollected.

"Awesome." It was like I could hear him smirking.

"Luke, let me go." I tried once again to stand, and once again, he yanked me back into him.

"Don't go anywhere." He whispered in my ear.

"Luke?" William turned the corner and saw us, "come on dude, leave her alone, she's going through enough as it is."

"Nah, I think she just wants to be here with me." He hugged me into him, "don't you?" He asked, before I could say no or shake my head in response he turned me to face him, so I sat, with my legs curled under me, facing him. I shook my head the tiniest bit.

"No." My voice was quite soft, afraid, I was afraid.

"Dude she said no, let her go." I looked back at William, who was being held back by one of Luke's friend.

"I don't think she meant it, Abigail, do you want to stay?" His voice was steady, but full of venom.

"No." My voice was a bit stronger this time. However, regrettably so, as right as I said this, Luke slapped my face. I winced and brought my hand up to my cheek.

"Luke. Cut. It. Out." William was angry, I hated it when he was angry.

"Nope." He laughed, and I pushed him away. Standing up.

"I'm not done with you." He glared down at Luke, "I'm serious, the last person to do this ended up in Juvie, do you want to end up in the ICU?" He held me close, with a strong grip on my waist, it wasn't abusive, it was protective. "Roonie can we go back?" He asked, and I nodded, he started walking me back inside.

"I'm sorry." I softly said.

"For what?" William asked, opening the door.

"I can't fight anymore." I explained, "I'm always going to have something bad in my life. I thought it was going to end when Lin fostered me, but, well, I guess, my past never followed me. I had sucky families, but once I was out, they never re-appeared in my life. This is following me. Now I have a good family, but my last one is following me. I'm doomed to live the rest of my life with something haunting me, and I just give up. I'm broken." I choked out most of this.

"I know." William said shrugging.

"Wait you know?" I asked.

"Abigail," he started, he never calls me Abigail. "I thought I knew something when we started dating. I knew that you were going to break. I knew that there would come a day where you couldn't fight anymore. I thought, that as your boyfriend, it was my job to prevent that day from happening. I was wrong." He shrugged again. "It's not my job to prevent the inevitable that one day you won't be able to fight anymore, it's my job to fight for you when that day comes, and fight until you're not broken anymore."

"Oh." I didn't know how to respond to that. We were walking up the stairs, when he pulled his phone out and dialed. I didn't see who though.

"Hey." He said into the phone. "Yeah, um," he started but whoever was on the other side cut him off. "No, she's fine, well, actually." He looked at me, "yeah, she's ok, she's with me. It's just..." He looked at me again, "yeah, yeah, it happened." He paused for a second, "awesome, see you then." With that he hung up. "Your dads coming to pick us up."

"Wait, that was Lin?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's ok, did you really need to go to APUSH, English and Pre-Calc?" He asked.

"No, not really." I shrugged, and sat down against the wall, finally at lunch, instead of sitting by me, William sat in front of me.

"Where's your lunch?" He asked, pulling out a sandwich.

"I already ate." I lied wrapping my arms around my stomach.

"Ok." He eyed my suspiciously, taking a bit of his sandwich. We sat and ate, with him talking about his trip yesterday, I didn't feel up to talking, so he droned on and on about some Van Gogh painting, I mean, I appreciate art, just, less, than other people do.

Sorry it's late. I'm camping and have no wifi, or electricity... WAAAAHHHH!

Thanks for reading!

-Abi