Chapter 185 - Final Ham4Ham

Wednesday I was sitting backstage at the theater, on my phone. Everyone on the internet was freaking out over the 9th, especially since Ariana just announced she would be leaving too.

@madisonscalves - wasn't @Abi_Miranda supposed to  be the whole casts kid? Why is she leaving with Lin??

@TJJMJLAH - @Abi_Miranda @madisonscalves, yeah. Why doesn't she just stay in the theater, and like... she'd be their like, collective child.

I smiled a little, remembering when I used to live here. I felt really cool, to be living alone, but people were always here. Now I wouldn't trade living with a family for the world. Lin and Vanessa were amazing. I loved waking up every morning and having Lin on the couch working on Moana, and Vanessa bent over her work, and Sebastian running around the house singing. I wouldn't exchange family for anything.

I wouldn't trade Vanessa's cooking for anything. The ability to sit around a table with people you love, I wouldn't give that up. I wouldn't give up the little conversations I have with my dad every night, because he insists on tucking me into bed. I wouldn't forfeit having a relationship with my little brother either. I wouldn't want to lose the knowledge that his favorite Chuggington train is Wilson. Family is important to me now. I finally understand it.

@Abi_Miranda - @madisonscalves truth be told, I don't know if I was supposed to be the casts kid... but I wouldn't give up my family for anything.

@madisonscalves - @Abi_Miranda but... the cast... the cast was your family...

@Abi_Miranda - @madisonscalves, they're always going to mean something to me, but, I actually have parents now... and... it's indescribable how much I love them

I smiled a little. I adored my parents and family, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

@Lin_Manuel - @Abi_Miranda, it's indescribable how much I love you.

"Abigail! Ham4Ham!" Lin shouted and I stood up, shoving my phone into my shorts pocket. I ran over to him, by the door, and hugged my dad, tightly. "Woah, hey Kiddo!" He laughed, returning my hug.

"I love you." I whispered.

"Oh, oh sweetie, I love you too." He kissed my head and I smiled. "Come out when I knock for you okay?" He said.

"Mkay." I smiled, and he left the theater.

I sat by the door, listening to my dad read a letter. I couldn't believe he was leaving Hamilton, and I felt bad because I was excited.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everyone here. They had truly become like a second family to me, but I don't know, I changed. My whole life I had counted on people to be 'like my family' someone who cared about you. People who were 'like my family' were always much more loving then my biological parents and foster families, so I viewed having people being 'like your family' as better then having a family.

I guess I never really had a true family. When this whole thing started, I loved feeling like these people were my family, like they were all parents and uncles and aunts to me, but that's nothing compared to a real family. I met my aunt and uncle for the first time on Monday. I went to a family barbecue. I had the same last name as my parents, I lived with them, and I was part of their family. I wasn't just someone they cared about. They cared about me enough to swear in a court that they will always care about me. Nothing feels like your real family.

I was drawn out of my trance by my dad banging on the door, signaling for me to come out. I stood up and carefully opened the door. I stepped outside, the July warmth hitting me through my black One Last Time sweatshirt, my dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders, hugging me a bit.