Chapter 167 - Funeral

"Abi!" Lin shouted through the apartment Monday night, "get in here!"

"Dad?" I yawned, dragging myself out of bed, into the living room. "Why are you yelling at 11:40 pm?"

"James Corden!" He smiled, and patted the cushion next to him.

"Can I sleep and watch?" I asked, curling up on the couch and pulling a blanket over myself.

"Sure." He smiled, and I leaned against him, as he started the episode. Carpool karaoke started and the camera switched from showing James to showing Lin.

"Dad!" I bolted up in my seat, and turned towards him.

"Yeah! It's no problem it's just the upper east side." Tv Lin said, and I just kept smiling, "this, this is actually right near where my daughter goes to school, after I get you to the Beacon, I have to pick her up, she had a math test today."

"Awe, she's a sweetheart, how's the family?" James asked, and I smiled at Lin.

"They're great, we're all great." He continued, and then they started talking about the Tonys.

"You never told me you went on Carpool Karaoke!" I said, smiling at my dad.

"I tried three or four times, then I gave up." He shrugged, and I kept watching as Lin and James sang Alexander Hamilton and Guns and Ships.

The rest of the carpool karaoke was awesome, and funny, and cute, and Audra McDonald hit this really amazing note and I died. I ended up falling asleep on Lins shoulder, about halfway through the interview. I was vaguely aware of him carrying me back to bed. I felt him pull my blankets over me, and gently kiss my head.

"Goodnight Mijita."

•••

The next day, I had to go to my parents funerals. I had my hair curled, and I was wearing a black dress, and brown chunky heels.

"I don't want to do this." I groaned, walking into the kitchen.

"I know darling." Vanessa said, handing me a travel mug of coffee.

"I, I mean, his old friends will be there, and I'm not ready to see them." I admitted.

"Yeah, that's understandable." She said, "but, I mean, we have to, it'll be okay." She kissed my head.

"You both look great." Lin said, coming into the kitchen. He was wearing a black button down and jeans. I looked at my mom, who was wearing a black blouse tucked into a black pencil skirt with gold buttons. "Let's go." He said, and took his wife's hand, walking her out.

We got to the grave site and I felt out of place immediately. It wasn't like I showed up in a limo, I showed up in a nice black town car. My birth parents, they were, sort of, sort of red necks. So, everyone else at the funeral were in trucks and rental cars.

"I'm not ready for this Dad." I said to Lin as we were walking out.

"Abigail?" I heard a familiar voice say, and I spun around to see one of my bio dads friends standing near me.

"Yes?" I asked, my voice soft.

"I cannot believe you're here, and calling another man 'dad' at your own fathers funeral."

"Hi." Lin gave him a little wave, "my name's Lin, I'm Abigail's dad." He extended his hand to shake.

"Joe Rayson." He shook his hand, "it's such a blast from the past to see this lovely young lady."