Chapter 121 - EduHam (5)

Lin's POV

As soon as the song ended, Abigail leapt up from her bench, and ran over to me. I wrapped my arms around her little body, I felt her shake indicating that she was crying. She cries so easily.

"Thanks dad." I heard her say, with her head on my shoulder. As soon as she said dad, I hugged her tighter, then started crying as well. She called me dad. I'm her dad. She sees me as a dad. I did it. I mean, she's called me her dad to other people, but, that was different, she called me dad. Finally. "Why are you crying?" She asked, looking up at me, she doesn't get it. How does she not get it?

"You called me dad." I said, and as I did, I cried again, as soon as I did, I felt her move away from me. Did I do something? Oh crap. Should I not make a big deal about this?

"Oh. I... I'm sorry." She said, looking at her feet. She was sorry? Why was she sorry? What does she have to be sorry about? I swear, my daughter apologizes for everything. "I didn't mean to, I just, it kind of, it won't happen again."

"Niñita, no, oh gosh, come back here." I grabbed both of her hands, and pulled her back to me, did she actually think I would be upset she called me her father? I could hear Tommy talking to the students, but, to be blatantly honest, I couldn't care less.

"You're not upset with me?" She asked.

"You called me dad. That's a big deal. I mean, you view me as a dad. Oh gosh, I'll never be upset about that." I tried to explain why I was overjoyed at this moment, and totally failed. "V get up here!" I yelled this into my mic, so she's could hear me. Tommy was waving the students out of the auditorium, and I couldn't decide whether to be happy that they were leaving, or tell each one of them individually that my daughter finally called me dad.

"What happened?" Vanessa asked. "Abi, that was a beautiful speech." She hugged Abi, despite our son being strapped to her chest.

"V, she called me dad." I told Vanessa, excitedly.

"You did what?" She spun around to Abigail, obviously excited as well.

"I'm sorry." Why did Abi keep saying that, there was nothing to apologize for.

"What? Why? Why is she sorry?" Vanessa turned back around to ask me, I shrugged, not really knowing myself.

"I... I, it kind of slipped out," Abigail started, and Vanessa turned back around to face her. "I didn't really think about it, I guess, I kinda just thought of you as my dad." She looked at me, kind of ashamed, "And, I guess, I guess I think of you as my mom." She gave my wife the same look, like she was sorry for what she did, and she expected us to get angry. It makes you wonder, what if this has happened before, little 13 year old Abi calling one of her abusive foster parents mom or dad, then getting hit. Did she think we were going to hit her?

"Sweetie!" As I was lost in thought, Vanessa hugged Abi again, obviously touched.

"Can I call you that?" She asked Vanessa, who nodded fervently, "can I call you mom?"

"You've been my daughter for months now. I've been waiting for this, of course. Of course you can call me mom." My wife was so cute when she was happy, my wife was actually just cute when she did anything. I hit the wife jackpot everyone. Like, honestly. I loved seeing Vanessa's reaction, how is the cast going to respond?

"GUYS! SHE DID IT!" I yelled running backstage. I've been telling them for months that I was looking forward to this, I can't wait to see how they're going to respond, this is a great day.

Abi's POV

"You called me dad." Lin somewhat sobbed into my shoulder.

"Oh." I said, "I... I'm sorry." I detached myself from his hug, immediately regretting saying that. It probably made him uncomfortable, I know he adopted me, but, I mean he had a legitimate son. "I didn't mean to, I just, it kind of, it won't happen again." I stepped back a little, trying to remove myself from this awkward situation.

"Niñita, no, oh gosh, come back here." He grabbed my hands, and pulled me back to him.

"Okay, while Lin and Abigail are having a cute father/daughter moment, I should release you." I looked up to see Tommy filling the kids in on what was supposed to be happening.

"You're not upset with me?" I asked Lin.

"You called me dad. That's a big deal. I mean, you view me as a dad. Oh gosh, I'll never be upset about that." He pulled me into him, "V get up here!" He yelled into his mic, so she'd hear him.

"Okay," I heard Tommy again, "remember shows in an hour and a half, have a good lunch, we'll see all y'all soon." He waved the students out.

"What happened?" Vanessa asked, as she got up onstage. "Abi that was a beautiful speech." She said, hugging me.

"V, she called me dad." He said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"You did what?" She looked at me, shocked.

"I'm sorry." I repeated, I know Lin wasn't mad, but, I guess, she might be, she didn't seem too happy about it.

"What? Why? Why is she sorry?" She asked Lin.

"I... I, it kind of slipped out, I didn't really think about it, I guess, I kinda just thought of you as my dad." I managed to get that last part out. "And, I guess, I guess I think of you as my mom." I confessed.

"Sweetie!" She engulfed me immediately, even though Seb was still in the baby carrier on her front.

"Can I call you that?" I asked, "can I call you mom?"

"You've been my daughter for months now. I've been waiting for this, of course. Of course you can call me mom." I was smiling fanatically into this hug. I had a mom.

"GUYS! SHE DID IT!" I heard Lin yell, running offstage.

"Huh?" I pulled away from my hug, "what? Why is he?" I fumbled my words a bit.

"He's been looking forward to this." She said, and wrapped an arm around my waist. "Come on, I think someone ordered pizza for the cast."

"Okay." I smiled.

I honestly didn't care what happened in my life anymore. Lin and Vanessa are okay with my calling them mom and dad. I had parents, like legitimate parents, it's not just legal anymore, like, they're actually my mom and dad. I pulled my phone out of my sweater pocket, and went into my contacts, originally my contact for Lin, was Lin-Manuel Miranda, this was from when we first met, the first night I spent at the Rodgers, I changed it to just Lin, since then he had changed it to Old Man Miranda. I erased it and changed it one more time.

Dad

Then I flipped to Vanessa's contact, which was simply Vanessa, and changed it to match her husbands.

Mom.

•••

Ey yo! Hi! So, what'd you think?? Kudos to kendsmashpotato for the idea to switch POVS for this chapter! I have a really cute idea from doctuh_buscus for my next chapter, like, I'm really excited about it! Love you all!

10:41

Thanks for reading!

- Abi