The One That Got Away

"Summer after high school when we first met, we just clicked. We became friends so quickly which turned into best friends...Which turned into more. I remember one night we made out in your Mustang to Radiohead. Even though it wasn't a typical love song, it became our song because our first kiss was to that song, and on my eighteenth birthday we got matching tattoos." Regina gently traced the half heart on her wrist. "Used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof..Talked about our future like we had a clue. Never planned that one day I'd be losing you."

Emma and Regina walked down the street hand in hand, a smile on their faces. They had just finished watching the cheesiest movie because it was Regina's turn to choose, Emma wasn't a fan but as long as Regina was happy, she was happy too.

Emma stopped walking and pulled Regina close.

"It's been exactly five minutes since I last kissed you. Give me another."

"No." Regina giggled.

"Come on Gina, I could die in the next ten minutes. Some dude could come and attack me. Please give me a kiss." Emma begged.

Regina rolled her eyes but still continued to smile as she pressed her lips against her slightly taller girlfriend. "So dramatic."

"But you love me."

"That I do."

They started to walk down the street again when Emma noticed a person laying on the ground.

"Hey, you okay?" She asked concerned.

"I need...Five...Dollars."

"I'm sorry, I have no cash."

"Neither do I."

The person slowly stood up and eyed Regina. "What's in your purse then?" He growled.

Emma quickly shoved him away as if she knew what was coming. "Fuck off dude. Go bother someone else."

He grabbed Emms by both arms and shoved her to the ground before walking closer to Regina.

"I just need five dollars for food for my kids. That's all. That's all I want. Yeah." He said quietly but quickly.

"Hey asshole." Emma growled as she stood up and got closer to him. He turned around quickly, his eyes wide when he realised how close Emma had come.

Regina covered her mouth as Emma gasped in pain.

"In another life, I would be your girl forever. I wouldn't lose you. We'd keep all our promises, be us against the World. In another life, I would make you stay so I don't have to say, you were the one that got away. I remember we were at your parents house and we sang a song together. They dubbed us June and Johnny Cash...I was June and you were my Johnny Cash. Never one without the other we made a pact. Sometimes when I miss you, I put those records on. We had our first major fight weeks before I lost you. We hadn't spoke for a week. Someone said you had your tattoo removed, saw you downtown singing the blues. I had to tell myself I'm no longer your muse...But it was a lie. You apologised and you still had your tattoo, and that song? It was about me, for me. I sang the song...It made me famous, but all this money can't buy me a time machine, can't replace you with a million rings. I should'a told you what you meant to me, 'cause now I pay the price."

Regina held Emma's body in her arms as police officers filled the area. The man in handcuffs, guilt on his face.

"I never meant to hurt her. I just wanted to scare them, I needed money." He repeated.

"I'm sorry." Regina cried. "That week we were apart I regret it so much. We could have spent more time with you. Please don't leave me. I need you Emma."

Emma weakly held her wrist against Regina's forming a full heart.

"I love you, I'm always with you in your heart and in your memories. I'm never leaving you Regina Mills."

"Who will hold me when I'm scared? Who will hold me when I'm hurting? Who will protect me from the bad dreams? Emma only you make me feel safe and happy, please don't go. I love you so much."

Regina tears fell from her eyes and on to Emma's jacket. "Emma?"
Her heart began to race as Emma didn't reply. "Emma?" She asked louder.

She pulled Emma's body up and hugged her, not caring that she was getting blood all over her. "I love you Emma Swan. I love you so much."

She unclasped the Swan necklace from her neck and gently slipped it into her pocket, before she held on tightly as the paramedics tried to pull her away.

Sixty Years Later

Regina Mills sat in her favourite chair as she watched the cheesiest movie she had ever seen as she played with the Swan necklace around her neck.

"Really? We're watching this again?"

"You know this is my favourite movie."

Regina froze as she realised she was alone, yet she heard that familiar voice. She turned her head slowly to see the young blood spralwed on the sofa, her eyes fixed on the TV.

"Emma." Regina gasped.

"Oh you finally notice me." She joked. "Hey Gina, you look as beautiful as ever."

Regina stood up and walked towards the blonde who shot up.

"You're here." Regina cried.

"I've come to take you home. Now you don't have to say I'm the one that got away."

A/N: Any emotions you feel, any tears you may cry. It is not my fault. Please blame EvilRegal10lp! 😜