The Rainbow Bridge

The tears fell from the small families eyes as they watched their beautiful dog slowly pass away in Emma's arms.

"We're sorry we rescued you too late from that abusive home, but we saved you and you lived eight great years. You were loved, you were more than just a friend, you were family." Emma cried as into Angel's fur. Taking in her smell one last time.

"You were everything to me." Seven year old Henry cried as he held a tight grip on his other Mother, Regina.

"I hope you're with your first owner, I bet she's been waiting for you." Regina said with tears in her eyes. "We love you so much and we'll never forget you."

Emma gently layed Angel on her blanket and stood up as she reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and she began to read out loud.

"Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster." Emma pauses to wipe her eyes, they blur her vision not allowing her to continue to read. She lets out a shaky breath before continuing to speak.

"You have been spotted and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together."

Once Emma had finally finished reading, she broke into a sob as she fell to her knees. "I love you Angel. I miss you so much."

"You're a real Angel now." Henry spoke softly causing Emma to cry harder.

65 years later

Everything was white, until it wasn't. Emma looked around and saw the most beautiful scenery she had ever seen.

The sun was shining bright and there was beautiful trees and flowers surrounding her.

She felt different, she felt new. She no longer felt her legs seizing up, she no longer felt her back pain. She looked down at her hands to see them wrinkle free.

She was young again.

Barking caught her attention and when she looked up, she saw the dog she had lost years ago running towards her.

"ANGEL!" She shouted as she ran towards the dog as happy tears filled her eyes.

Angel barked at her and when they met, Emma fell to her knees and tried to hug her dog but she struggled as Angel licked her face.

"I missed you so much." She cried as she managed to hug the Golden Retriever.

Angel pulled away and turned around, barking and wagging her tail.

Emma gasped and stood up slowly as she saw her beautiful wife, walking towards her, looking young once again.

"Regina." She whispered.

"Let's go home." Regina smiled holding her hand out.

Emma gently took it and with Angel walking in front of them wagging her tail happily, they crossed the Rainbow Bridge together, reunited forever.

A/N: R.I.P my Nan's dog. Everyone loved her so much, she was special to everyone in the family. You're gone but you're certainly never going to be forgotten. Thank you for the friendship and they love you showed to me. Thank you for protecting my Nan and keeping her safe. I love you.