Heart Attack

Puttin’ my defences up
'Cause I don’t wanna fall in love
If I ever did that, I think I’d have a heart attack

Emma had been in love once and it went bad. She thought he was the one, the one she would marry, the one she would spend the rest of her life with, but he just broke her heart and made her take the blame for something he had done and she was only seventeen.

Now ten years later, she finds herself in a small town. It was a quiet town, everybody knew everybody. The mayor, Regina Mills, was nothing but kind to her and it made Emma feel things she had never felt before, not even with her ex. She was scared she would be hurt and betrayed again so, she built her walls up and didn't intend to take them down.

Never put my love out on the line
Never said yes to the right guy

The last time she put everything she had on the line, for her so called boyfriend...It went wrong. So wrong and ever since then she turned down both men and women. Good men and women who she knew wouldn't hurt her, but she couldn't take that risk. She refused to..

But you make me wanna act like a girl
Paint my nails and wear high heels, yes you
Make me so nervous, that I just can’t hold your hand

But Regina was different. She made Emma wanna dress up, go out on dates and take the risk but the only thing keeping her away from asking Regina out was her nervousness. She's that nervous she wouldn't even be able to hold Regina's hand. But that was normal, right?

You make me glow,
But I cover up, won’t let it show,
So I’m puttin’ my defenses up
'Cause I don’t wanna fall in love
If I ever did that, I think I’d have a heart attack
I think I’d have a heart attack

Just a simple hello or even a small glance would make Emma's entire day and she would be glowing. People noticed too, they would notice the sudden change in the way she looked, they just didn't know who was causing it. She thought she hid it well, when in fact she didn't. She didn't want to show Regina what she was doing to her. She was scared.

Never break a sweat for the other guys
When you come around, I get paralyzed
And every time I try to be myself
It comes out wrong like a cry for help
It’s just not fair

During her time in Storybrooke, men and women tried to talk to her, tried to be her friends, tried to ask her on dates but she told them she wasn't interested, she would rather be alone but when Regina spoke to her, asked her if she wanted to meet up and have a coffee, she didn't find the strength to say no. It was like she was stuck, Regina had touched her arm and Emma shouted yes which caused Regina to laugh.

The coffee meet up went amazing considering Emma had never hanged out with anyone in a long time.

They did a few more meet ups and that's when Emma tried to be herself but she continued to talk about her ex and what she went through, how it affected her and she saw the look in Regina's eyes. She felt sorry for Emma and that was one thing Emma didn't want Regina to feel for her.

So scared I take off and I run
I’m flying too close to the sun
And I burst into flames

So she ran, she just ran. She didn't no where she was running but she ran. Little did she know that Regina was following her.

Emma stopped running when she arrived at the beach, she fell to her knees as she began to cry.

Regina didn't say a word, instead she sank down to her knees too and wrapped her arms around Emma. Telling her it was okay to feel how she did. Reasuring her, that she would never leave Emma or betray her. She would protect her and love her.

Love.

That one caught Emma's attention. She looked up, tears still streaming down her face. Regina looked down and smiled.

For the first time in a long time, Emma let down her walls as she sat up and kissed Regina.

"And that's how your Mom and I got together." Emma smiled as she looked at her six  year old son, Henry and their three year old daughter, Hope.

Regina walked into the living room and wiped her hands on her apron. "Dinner's ready."

The two women locked eyes and Emma felt herself falling in love all over again. She let her walls down, she let someone in and she was loved and in love. She had a family of her own and was happy.

She didn't have a heart attack after all.

A/N: For my lovely friend EvilRegal10lp! Hope you liked it!

Thank you for reading and voting everyone!