The Truth

"Need a light?" Regina smiled as she walked towards Emma who was stood in front of the well.

"Regina."

"I thought you could use a friend."

Emma sighed and looked down at her dagger. "He's playing with me. He said I can't light it because I'm not ready to let go of the darkness."

"Are you?"

"Regina." Emma said annoyed.

"Hey. No one knows the lore of darkness better than I do. You can lie to your parents, you can lie to yourself...But you can't lie to me."

"I don't know." Emma said finally looking at Regina again.

"Feels good doesn't it?" Regina said with a half smile. "Indulging every impulse...Wielding great power. Doing whatever you want."

"Yes." Emma replied as she stared at her dagger again. "Yes it does. Is it wrong?" She asked looking at Regina once more.

"Of course it is." Regina said with a sad smile. "But it's also human." She continued seriously. "Look, I know you Emma. It took a long time but I really know you and you're not as weak as I once was, so if you're clinging to the darkness...You have good reason and it's beyond temptation so what is it?"

"I don't know."

"There's a difference between not knowing something and not wanting to admit it. Those walls you put up Emma, it's time they come down." Regina said as she reached for Emma's dagger.

"What are you doing?" Emma asked slightly scared as Regina held the dagger up.

"Helping you break the walls." Regina grinned before her expression turned serious. "As your friend, I command you Dark One, tell me why are you so afraid to give up the darkness?"

"Once I've let it go I won't be able to protect my family." Emma replied quickly.

"It's another wall Emma. Now. The truth."

"It is. Regina...Please."

"No it's not. You just have to be brave enough to knock down all those walls you're hiding behind. The dagger can make you look, but you, you have to choose to see, now come on. Come on Emma see." Regina begged. "Tell me what you're really afraid of."

"You want to know what I'm really afraid of? Why I'm scared to give up the darkness? Because it makes me feel strong, like I can control my feelings because when I'm around you I'm weak. I want to tell you how I feel but I can't because you're with Robin." Emma shouted, anger and hurt ran through her body.

"What?" Regina asked, her voice coming out in a whisper as she placed the dagger down.

"Ever since I broke the curse and saw you for who you really are, a caring, loving Mother. An incredible but misjudged woman...A strong and beautiful woman...I fell for you. I was scared, I still am because I don't want to ruin what we have."

Regina gently grabbed Emma's hands and locked their fingers together. "It's okay." Regina smiled. "Is that what you're afraid of? If you let go of the darkness you become weak and you have the fear of losing me?"

Emma nodded her head as she rested her forhead against Regina's. "That's the truth. Not another wall. I swear."

"I believe you."

"Do you love me?"

"If I didn't...I wouldn't be here trying to help you get rid of the darkness. You're not weak, you are strong. You have so much strength inside of you and you will beat the darkness. I believe in you. Just like you believed in me."

For the first time in a while, Emma smiled before she gently placed her lips against Reginas. For a short time, she felt the darkness leave her body and it was replaced with happiness, warmth and love. Together they could overcome anything, break any curse and of course, take away the darkness from eachother.

And that, was the truth.