Christmas Season

It was the Christmas season. Everyone was laughing, smiling and having the best time. Except for one little boy.

Henry Swan-Mills, sat alone in his room as his parents decorated the house all Christmassy. Tears streamed down his face as he scrolled through the pictures on his phone. He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand as a picture of him and his best friend, a German Shepherd called Dexter, appeared on the screen.

One week earlier, Dexter had died peacefully in his sleep. Next to Henry on his bed. Henry woke up to see Dexter and he had a smile on his face. Gave him his usual morning kiss on his nose, but when Dexter didn't move, Henry's heart dropped. He knew instantly what had happend when he didn't feel his dog breathing on him.

Henry let out a shaky sigh as he continued to look through his pictures. Christmas the previous year, Henry had wrapped tinsel around his dog. Dexter even sat and posed for him.

His eyes continued to fill with tears, he reached next to him, grabbing Dexter's collar in his hands. He brought it close to his chest, holding it tightly. He sniffled before he brought the collar up to his nose. As he smelled his dogs scent, more tears just poured down his cheeks.

"I miss you Dex." He cried quietly. "You'll always be my boy. My good boy."

All he wanted for Christmas was his best friend back. They had grown up together. Gotten up to mischief together. They were eachothers shadow, following eachother everywhere.

They were more than just human and dog. More than pet and owner. More than best friends. More than family. They were part of eachother.

"And I thought we would be together
Go on and on just like that, forever
But I was young back then
I guess I just didn't know
Little boys grow up and dogs get old." Henry sang to himself. Luke Bryan's song got stuck in his head.

His bedroom door slowly opened and he quickly wiped his eyes. He heard the familiar patter of paws on his floor. When he looked towards the door, he saw a small German Shepherd puppy walking around.

"Star!" Emma shouted as she ran through the door. "Way to ruin the surprise." She scolded the dog playfully as she scooped the small dog into her arms.

"Mom?" Henry asked, coughing as he realised his voice sounded like he had been crying.

"Listen, kid. We understand if you think its too soon but your Mom and I thought it would be nice if you had a friend to distract you and take your mind off Dexy. It'll be hard at first, of course but....The pain will ease."

"I don't wanna forget him." Henry said sadly as Star wriggled free from Emma's arms and jumped on to Henry's bed. Making her way onto his lap.

"You'll never forget Dexter and we won't let you." Emma sat next to Henry and put her arm around him. "He's still with you in here." She nudged his head with her own. "And here." She placed her hand over his heart. "You have memories. Videos and pictures."

"It doesn't feel right without him. The Christmas season especially."

"It won't. Of course it won't, but it will get easier. You'll see."

Emma kissed the side of his head before standing up off of the bed and making her way out of the room.

Henry looked down at Star who looked up at him.

"So Star...Wanna play fetch?"

He stood up with the small pup in his arms, picking up Dexter's collar at the same time. He walked to a picture on the wall of him and his soccer team. He carefully took the picture down, replacing it with Dexter's blue collar.

"I love you Dexter. I'll always love you."

Star wriggled upwards and licked Henry's chin. He laughed as he petted his new pup. "I think I'm going to be okay.."