Smoke & Mirrors

She felt herself become weaker, everything around her became blurry, the voices sounded far away but one stood out the most.

"Stay with me Emma, come on."

"Regina." She managed to say before everything went black.

One Hour Earlier

Standing on the front lines
Staring at the sun rise over the hill

Emma Swan had been in the army for three years, she was one of the best but not once during the entire time she served did she see a new recruit be called up to action so early.

She sat behind a barrier, watching the new recruit check her weapon over and over again. Making sure she had a full clip of ammo and the safety wasn't off as they awaited their enemies apperance.

The new recruit felt eyes on her and when she glanced to her left and saw Emma looking, she felt her face heat up as she blushed.

"I've watched you check your gun about five times. What's wrong Regina?"

"It's Mills when we're on duty."

"It's not bothered you before."

"That's before I got called up. I take this seriously."

"I should hope so otherwise you'll get killed."

Emma shuffled towards her, ignoring the dull pain due to carrying such heavy armour for so long and not moved for about an hour.

Regina felt her heart begin to pick up the pace as the blonde haired woman got closer, their bodies almost touching.

"What are you doing? Get back to your position." Regina whispered.

"It's so lonely over there." Emma pouted.

Regina rolled her eyes and shifted her position so she was on her knees.

"You're not taking this seriously. It'll get you killed."

Emma smirked and stood up. "Nothing can kill me."

As soon as she said those words, Emma was shot in the arm. She cried out in pain as she fell to the ground, clutching her arm.

"OPEN FIRE!" She heard someone shout.

Regina checked on her but was pushed away as Emma gritted her teeth and pulled out her SMG.

"That son of a bitch shot me. I don't know which son of a bitch but I'm sure I'll get him." She growled as she began to shoot the endless amount of enemies that began pouring out of trucks and vans.

Waiting for the kill

Regina watched on in admiration before she grabbed the sniper rifle beside her and began sniping the enemies that were hiding on the rooftops.

Soon the waves upon waves of enemies began to shrink. One by one there shot, along the way they lost some of their own men and women but they would never be forgotten.

The gunfire stopped and Emma stood up proudly, a smile on her face as she lifted her arms up in the air.

"Victory." She cheered.

Regina removed herself from the sniper rifle as she watched Emma remove the armour from her body.

She eyed her arm, wincing when she saw the amount of blood pouring from the wound. Emma looked at Regina and shrugged as she reached into the medical bag on the floor.

"What? It's just a scratch."

Emma wrapped the bandage around her arm and as she did that, Regina looked through the scope again, doing a quick scan of the area...But it was too late.