Labels

Emma and Regina had been dating since they were seventeen years old, now nearing their thirties, Regina wondered if Emma was ever going to pop the big question. They had a nice home and a handsome son, so why not tie everything together and get married?

Regina wondered if she should be the one to pop the question, but then again they never really discussed marriage so Regina thought it would be best to talk about it first. Even though it's a topic that shouldn't cause an arguement she still chose to bring it up when their son, Henry was at school.

"Am I in trouble?" Emma chuckled as she walked into the kitchen and saw Regina sat down with no expression on her face.

"Hm? No sorry." Regina replied quickly. "I was thinking."

"About what?" Emma asked curiously as she sat down in front of her wife.

"Marriage."

Emma froze, slightly stunned as she stared into Regina's eyes. "M-Marrige?"

"Yes." Regina nodded her head. "We have a perfect life. A beautiful house, a child...Why don't we get married and complete that chapter in our life?"

We don't need no labels when you're sitting 'cross the table

"I love you. I love you with all of my heart but marriage? Don't you think it's...Silly?"

"Silly?" Regina said in shock. "No Emma, I do not."

Emma gently grabbed Regina's hands and held them, locking their fingers together. "Think about it, it's one day where people basically celebrate your love. It's...It's like an anniversary in a way except it's not just us celebrating. Plus, nothing changes between us except we change our last names and have a piece of paper that apperantly shows our love for eachother. I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that you love me. I don't need a piece of paper telling you I love you. Plus, if things go bad between us we have to get a divorce and that's like more expensive than the wedding. Speaking of expensive, do you see how much weddings cost? It'd ruin our bank account. Henry can say bye to college."

Regina pulled her hands away roughly as she felt a pain in her heart. "I don't care about the cost. I don't care if things were to end badly because right now, we are fine and happy...Atleast you are."

"You're not happy?" Emma asked, hurt evident in her voice.

Regina shook her head no. "Of course not Emma. I want to be your wife."

"We don't need labels like that to know how much we love eachother! Wife, girlfriend, it doesn't matter. I'd still love you the same. We'd just have a piece of paper, change our last names and wear rings for the rest of our lives. You wanna wear a ring forever? Okay here." Emma pulled off the ring on her thumb and handed it to Regina, who had her mouth open in shock. "You got the ring. You want me to write down how much I love you? We can frame it and put it on the wall, then you want my last name? We can go and get that changed then without marriage. There, we're basically married now without the whole wedding thing."

We're perfectly unstable
So why we need the, why we need the
Why we need the labels?

Regina threw the ring at Emma as she stood up from the table.

"Come on Gina." Emma sighed as she picked up the ring. "You're really going to let us argue over this? We have everything we could ever want. A home, eachother and a son. Why do we need to be wives? It's literally just the same as being girlfriends."

"To you maybe! But to me, it's something special. It truely defines your love. It's a special bond between us."

"It's a fucking religious thing that even non religious people do. It's like Christmas. Years and years ago it'd be for religious people now almost everyone celebrates it."

"You're a dumb bitch."

"Wow, no need to swear."

"Fuck, fuck, fuckity, fucking dumb fucking bitch, asshole, fucking twating bitch."

Emma sighed. "I'm dating a damn immature child. Thank God, Henry isn't here."

Regina's eyes filled with tears as she sat back down. "When we first started dating I knew you were the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I wanted you to have everything with me. A relationship, a home, a child...The longer we dated the more I knew we were soulmates. I always wondered when you were going to propose, I thought maybe I should because you might be scared. I'm so glad I didn't because I would have made a fool of myself."

"I wouldn't have said no if you had asked me. I would have said yes."

"But you don't believe in marriage or labelling eachother as wives. So you're basically saying you would have said yes because you would feel bad."

"No. I would have said yes because I love you."

"Then what's different now? Why is it such a big deal that we can't get married now hm?"

"Because we've talked about it and I'm telling you my feelings on the subject."

"You are just full of bullshit."

Screw the labels, screw the labels

"We're fine as just girlfriends Regina. It's the same as being married but no last name, no rings and no piece of paper. You want those things then I've told you what to do. But at the end of the day, if you loved me you would respect what I think. If we truely love eachother then you would agree that we don't need labels and our love is enough."

"Is it though? You're thinking about your own feelings and not about mine. You say you don't wanna label us? We're labelled as girlfriends. You wanna be labelled as exes instead?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Then we have a lot of thinking to do because we both want different things. This could make or break us. I think we should take a break to think about things."

"No, come on Gina. Don't do this." Emma begged.

"I'm thinking about myself now. You don't want to use labels? Then fine. At the moment, we're nothing."

Emma rested her head on the table as she felt a pain in her chest and tears filled her eyes. "I love you Regina, all this fucking bullshit because I don't want to get married."

"We want different things Emma, things like this won't work out. I can't just put my happiness on hold. I love you but being married to you is one thing I want most in the World."

"I'm sorry I can't give that to you."

"Me too." Regina sighed.

Only time would tell if they could come to an agreement because neither of them will be happy. Regina wants marriage whilst Emma does not, not believing in labels.

Does that make her a hypocrite for she has called Regina her girlfriend for so long?

Is their love strong enough to fight through this and compromise?

Only time will tell.

A/N: This is for my one and only Portuguese Puddin' Friend EvilRegal10lp!

I don't think I've ever written something like that before so that was a new experience.

Thanks for reading and voting everyone! You're not losers! You're all Queens or Kings, whatever you wanna be. I don't judge around here, this is a friend zone! 😂