Ch. 6: Back to Work?

Hyunwoo

~later that day~

~10:45 p.m.~

I made myself at home as I could not think of a feasible way to go back to my own world. I laid there on the bed staring up at the ceiling with Snow laying on top of my stomach sleeping. I absentmindedly pet her soft fur as I get lost in thought. A few seconds later, I can feel my eyelids get heavier and heavier and sleep is invading my mind. 

I blinked rapidly to keep myself awake, but I just couldn't. As I was just about to close my eyes for the last time tonight, I felt someone or something touching my forehead. Strangely, it didn't feel weird. It felt almost comfortable. Before I could muster the thought to find out who or what touched me, I fell asleep. 

~the next morning~

 I woke up with a head splitting headache. I groaned loudly as it felt like someone is repeatedly pressing needles at my brain. I sat up and everything around me started to swim. I shook my head to make it stop. I close my eyes and took a couple of deep breaths before opening them again. Everything is still and nothing hurt as if nothing happened. 

*alarm going off*

I press the red button on top of the clock to shut off the alarm. It is 8:00 a.m. It's time to go to work...Wait, work? But, I don't know anything about internal medicine. However, if I don't go, they will start to suspect me... I guess I'll have to live this life until I figure out something.... I threw off the blanket and got off the bed. I walked into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and combed my hair. Then, I go back into the walk in closet and looked at what there was to wear. 

"What do doctors even wear under their coat," I asked myself. "Well, they wear a dress shirt, a tie, a belt, slacks, socks, and comfortable shoes on TV...," I went on to say. I choose a pale green dress shirt, a pair of black slacks, a white belt, a dark forest green tie, and a nice pair of dress shoes that has those squishy insoles in them. After that, I got dressed and made my way back into the bedroom. I grab 'my' wallet, cellphone, and keys before exiting the apartment

~at the hospital's parking lot~

I got out of 'my' car and walked toward the entrance of the hospital.

"Hyung," a cheerful voice shouts from behind me. 

I turned around to see a Jooheon look alike running over to me. "Hey," I said in an unsure tone.

"I heard that you were released yesterday, and you already are back to work. Hyung, you should have rested some more," he says with a dimpled smile.

"Uhh, I'm all good. I can't rest when people need my help," I said.

"Who was I kidding? You have always been the most hardworking person in our group of friends," he chuckles.

"Yep," I answered as I glanced over at the hospital.

"Right. We should go clock in before Dean Jeong gives us an earful about having to be punctual," he snorts. Once inside, I followed him to the main break room where the machine to punch in was. He punches in first and then moves aside for me. I stepped in front of it and stared at it as I didn't know what my code was. However, in the next second, my hand seemed to move on its own as if from muscle memory and punches in the code, which was 8497110. How did I know that?

He walks over to the door, and exits. I went out too and absentmindedly followed him. When he notices me, he says, "Hyung, why are you following me? Your locker room is on a different floor."

"Huh? Oh, right. Sorry. Just a bit tired," I answered sheepishly.

"Are you sure you don't need to rest more," he asks with a worried look on his face.

"I'm sure. I'll see you later," I said.

"Okay," he says and leaves.

I took a deep breath before heading over to 'my' locker room. Once inside, I went over to 'my' locker and opened it. I put in 'my' wallet and keys onto the shelf at the top of the locker before taking 'my' doctor's coat off the clothing hanger and putting it on. I shut the locker door before going outside. "Where do I go now," I thought. Just like earlier, my legs began to move toward the nurses' station in the main part of this floor. 

When I got to the counter, the nurse sitting behind it looks up and gives me a business smile. I looked at her name plate for her name. It reads Seohyun Lee. 

"Good morning, Nurse Lee," I said to her.

"Good morning, Doctor Son. Your patients' updated files are in your box," she says and gestures to the wall with a wooden storage unit with trays in front of it.

"Thank you," I said.

"No problem," she says before getting back to what she was doing earlier. I walk over to the storage unit and scanned the labels for my name. When I found it, there was five files waiting for me. I picked them up nervously and opened the first file. 

Well, here goes nothing....