Ch. 51: Untitled

Hyunwoo

After having looked at each other for a solid minute, I reached out and cupped his cheek with my hand. He bites his lower lip slightly while looking at me bashfully yet shyly. As I was admiring him, a sudden growl rumbles through the room. He gasps loudly and covers his tummy with his hands as if that would prevent anymore noise from coming out his stomach.

I chuckled and asked, "Do you want to get something to eat?" He nods in response while blushing slightly.  "Come on. Let's go," I  said as I got off the bed. Kihyun moves so that his legs were off the bed and pauses before yawning cutely and stretching.

When he noticed that I was looking at him, he mutters something like "what are you looking at" under his breath before throwing the pillow that we were sleeping on at me. I let the pillow hit me and pretended that it hurt. He rolls his eyes at me before getting off the bed and walking out of the room. I shook my head and chuckled before following him.

After we had changed out of our doctor's uniform, we decided to go a street stall nearby. On the way there, it began to get windy. In the corner of my right eye, I saw him shiver every few seconds. I then  take his left hand, and  interlocked our fingers before putting our joined hands into my coat pocket.

In the next second, I hear him make a weird noise. I turned to look at him. He looks at me and quickly shakes his hand to signal that it was nothing. I shrugged and decided to let it go. "Last shift was quiet wild, huh," I asked to start a conversation.

"Yeah, luckily, no one died," he replies.

"Next shift might be just as crazy since we have to balance the patients we were already seeing and the new patients that we are taking turns to care for," I sighed as we came to an intersection. I hit the button to cross the street with my other hand while he stood next to me.

"That's for damn sure. But, it is worth it...to save people and to make them healthy again. The joy that appears on their faces when they leave the hospital in a better state than they had came in with," Kihyun says as we began to cross the street after the walking signal appeared and the cars on the street stopped. 

"Indeed," I answered a bit stiffly as I tried not to let a hint of sadness be heard in my voice as I had thought about how great it would have been  if I was a doctor back then in my world with him. Perhaps, I could have saved him.

"Oh!!! Do you smell that?! Let's hurry before they run out of tteokbokki and sundae," he says suddenly and began to drag me toward the source of the scent which prevented me from wading through the past again.