Ch. 47: Code Red (Part 1)

A/N: Happy Valentine's Day<3

Hyunwoo

~2:17 p.m.~

"Code Red. Code Red. All available doctors, please go to the emergency room. Code Red. Code Red. All available doctors, please go to the emergency room," the person on the intercom says as soon as the hall that I was in. In the next second, my pager goes off like crazy. I took it out from my pocket and read the code. I bit my lower lip as I wasn't sure what it meant but the meaning of it instantly comes to mind a few seconds later.

Ahead of me, I saw a few doctors running toward the elevator. I sprinted over and managed to make it inside before the doors closed. When we got to the ground floor, we all made our way to the emergency floor. Once inside, I noticed that there were numerous injured people. A nurse notices us and comes over. 

"Doctors, please. Find someone who hasn't been marked with a wristband and identify what level is their injuries are with these wristbands. Red for dire and need care right now. Orange for serious. Blue for not life threatening. Yellow for minor. After that, please take care of the patients who have red ones first and then the others in that order," she says and hands us some wristbands. We all nodded and took them from her. I spotted several injured people sitting on chairs and a familiar pink haired male.

I sped walked over and was about to take a look at the elderly male who was grabbing the front of his shirt with a pained expression on his face but someone grabs onto my right arm and pulls me to the right. Surprised, I look over to see a injured woman in her 30's. "Doctor, help me please. It hurts so much," she says. 

"Mam, I will in just a second, okay? Let me take a look at him first,"  I said as he looked more injured than she was.

"What?! Who cares?! He's going to die anyway. Help me first," she screamed. Kihyun notices this and comes over.

"Mam, if you don't mind, let me take a look at you," he says.

"Finally, someone smart...," she huffs and lets Kihyun examine her. I bit my lower lip to prevent myself from lashing out at her and turned my attention back to the elderly male in front of me.

"Sir, can you tell me where it hurts," I asked.

"My chest. It feels so tight," he wheezes. I took off the stethoscope from around my neck and used it to listen to his heartbeat. It was erratic and not stable. I moved it so that I could listen to his breathing. It was definitely drawn out. When I was taking my hand out from under his shirt, I accidentally touched his rib cage. He lets out a loud groan. 

I immediately put on a red wristband onto him and spun around to find someone to help me. I managed to get a nurse and a gurney. I instructed her of where she should bring him to and what needs to be done. She nods and assisted me with carrying the elderly man to the  gurney before leaving with him. I turned back and inhaled deeply before continuing to assess the conditions of the patients in front of me alongside Kihyun.