Ch. 48: Code Red (Part 2)

Hyunwoo

After I sent the elderly man with the nurse, I quickly went to the next person. She seems to be in her 20's. There is blood all over her clothes. "Miss, can you tell me where it hurts," I asked as I wasn't sure where I should start examining.

"My ribs...," she wheezes.

"I'm going to lift up your shirt. Is that okay," I asked carefully. She nods. I slowly lifted up her shirt and saw bruises decorating her torso. Most of them were on the area where her ribs were. She is likely suffering from a broken rib or internal bleeding or both.

"Miss, I am going to see if you injured your ribs. It will hurt but it will be beneficial to find out if you did break a rib or not," I said to which she nods as she squeezes her eyes shut. So, I gently placed my fingers over her rib cage to see if she indeed broke a rib. I felt around to see if I could detect a broken rib. Of course, this method isn't good. An x ray would definitely work better. I couldn't find anything.

Still, I put an orange wristband onto her wrist. The nurse who had instructed me what to do came over. "Nurse, can you get her to the X-ray room? She might have broken a rib," I said. She nods and leaves before coming back with a wheelchair. Together, we moved her to the wheelchair. The nurse takes her away to get more care. 

For the next two hours or god knows how long, the other doctors and I managed to take a look at every patient that was rushed here and assigned the correct wristband. From there, the chief of the emergency room department ordered for us to gather around. 

"Alright, everyone. I know that everyone is tired but there are people that need to be saved. I will assign each one of you to a group of patients to give further treatment too," the chief says and pauses for a few seconds before continuing. He calls us all out name by name and tells us which patients we will provide further care for. 

Somehow, Kihyun and I managed to be assigned to the same group. It probably was because we were standing next to each other or something. Nevertheless, Kihyun and I followed the other doctors that were also assigned to the same group to where those patients are.