Ch. 58: Busy Nights

A/N: Happy Fifth Anniversary, Monbebes!

Hyunwoo

"I'll see you later. I need to check in with my patients in my ward first," Kihyun says after we entered our workplace. He turns to leave but I kept holding onto his hand. He looks back at me and says, "Yah, what are you doing, silly? I got to go."

"Okay," I replied reluctantly before letting go of his hand. He looks me with a knowing look and then shakes his head before exiting the elevator. I subconsciously pouted and then pressed the elevator button to close the doors behind him. When I got to my floor, I went straight to the locker room to get my doctor's coat and put away some items. After I did that, I went to the nurses' station. 

"Good afternoon, Dr. Son," Nurse Lee and Kim says.

"Good afternoon, ladies," I smiled before taking out the files in my chubby. There was the files for my regular patients and then files for the patients that I saw the other day. I sighed and went room by room checking in on each of them. During my rounds, I needed to make sure that they are doing well, are responding to the treatment, and monitor them. 

By the time I had finished doing my round today, it has been around two hours already. I went back to the nurses's station and handed the files for my regular patients for them to enter the day's reports into the computer system. This way their records are on paper and online in the cloud. 

Now, it was time for the other patients. I went down to the ICU to check up on the patients that were there. When I entered the ICU, the sterile scent that hospitals are well known for is stronger as the patients there are more vulnerable. 

The first patient that I am going to examine is the elderly man who was clutching at the front of his shirt and was having a hard time breathing. His bed was the third on the left. I walked over to him and said after looking at his file, "Good afternoon, Mr. Kim Joon Hyung."

"Oh, you're the doctor who saw me when I was in the ER," he says after looking at me for a solid minute. 

"Yes, that was me. How are you feeling. Mr. Kim? Are you still having a hard time breathing," I asked as I checked his vitals. 

"Not really. The other doctors fixed me up. They just said I have to stay a few days so they can monitor me," he says.

"That is great to hear, Mr. Kim. Your vitals are good too. Is it alright if I sit you up so that I can check on your breathing," I asked. He nods. So, I pressed the up button on the side of the bed to make the bed raise/fold so that he was nearly sitting upright before taking the stethoscope  from my coat pocket out. I put in the ear tips into my ears and put chest piece on his chest. 

After I confirmed that he is breathing well, I removed the chest piece from him before taking the ear tips out and putting the stethoscope around my neck.  I wrote down some notes into his file. "Your breathing is good too. I'll move your bed back down," I said before hitting the down button. 

"Okay, if anything changes, please inform one of the staff members or me," I told him with a professional smile on my lips.

"Thank you, Doctor," he says. I then turned away and saw my other patients that were in the ICU. Each of them had received treatment or will receive it tonight. I did checkups on them as well as taking a look at the first diagnosis I had written down and confirming that they are accurate. I also saw that the lab results for the couple will be done tonight too. 

I made a mental note to go get them after I saw the remaining patients. As I went back to the elevator, I noted that it was nearly 6:00 p.m. already.  I patted my stomach as if to console it because I hadn't eaten anything today yet. "Just a little bit longer," I said to myself.