Ch. 9: Deja Vu

Hyunwoo

"Hyung? Hyung?! Hello," a voice says. I blinked rapidly and found Hoseok staring at me.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to go now? Lunch break is over now," he replies.

"Oh," I said as I noticed what time it was.

"I'm gotta run now. One of my residents needs some help," he says before leaving.

I nodded and glanced over to where that Kihyun was sitting earlier. I sighed. Who am I kidding? He isn't coming back. He will never be him.... I got up, picked up my tray, and went over to where we put away the dirty dishes. I set it down on the counter before making my way back to my floor. 

"Dr. Son, after you finish your rounds, there is a new patient in your office," says one of the nurses when she saw me come out of the elevator.

"Thank you," I said as I took the files of the patients I haven't checked up on from my cubby. I open the file on top. It reads: Kim Lee. "What kind of person has a last name for a first name," I thought to myself. Below her name, it listed her info, medical history, and what she was currently suffering from. I look at the tab on the end of the file to find out which room she is in. It was 413. I went over to that room and entered. 

"Oh, good afternoon," she says weakly.

"Good afternoon,...um....Ms. Kim," I said.

"It's Ms. Lee. Kim is my first name. I thought we went over this already," she laughs softly but cuts herself off.

"Are you still feeling pain in your chest," I asked as she bit her lower lip harshly.

"Yes."

"Do your lungs still hurt when you speak?"

"Not as much as yesterday," she answers.

"Hmm, let me check your vitals," I said as I scan the screens next to her. She nods. "We are going to start you on binzelithe as we discovered what was making you sick. You should be able to leave two days from now at the most," I said as if I knew what I was saying. What the...

"Is there any side effects?" 

"You may feel like you are unusually tired, but other than that...mmm...no," I said without skipping a beat. How did I know that?

"Oh, really? That's good. Thank you, Dr. Son," she smiles.

"No problem. Have a nice day," I said before leaving the room after she returned my farewell. 

~after his rounds~

I put the flies I was holding into my cubby and took out the file that was there waiting for me. Then, I realized that I didn't know where my office was. Just as I was about to ask one of the nurses, I knew where it was somehow. It is on the next floor up second door on the right. While looking at his file,  I went up to my office and walked in after knocking as if I had been working here for a long time. 

Inside was an eldery male. He gets up to greet me, but I quickly told him it is okay and he can just sit down. "Mr. Jo, how can I help you today," I asked. 

"I wanted your second opinion. The doctor I saw before said that I had no hope left and I should just leave (the hospital)," he says sadly.

"What," I said with a shocked expression on my face. What kind of doctor would do that?

"I know, right?"

"What seems to be the problem exactly," I asked as his file didn't have much in it.

"I have been having these headaches, and chest pains. I thought it wasn't anything until I started to cough up blood. Blood! Doctor, can you help me," the old man pleads. Those were the symptoms that Kihyun had before he...

...died.