Chapter 06

Jenna jumped out of her skin, looking around just to see Sirius Black at the end of the hall, his wand still raised.

He hadn't lowered his wand yet that they heard urgent footsteps nearing them. Turning around, they saw Professor Slughorn, their potions' master.

Professor Slughorn gave a horrid look at the two Slytherins who were almost knocked out and then gazed back at Jenna and Sirius with widened eyes.

"That would be twenty points from Gryffindor!" He said firmly, still in shock. "Now go to Professor McGonagall's office immediately, both of you! I'm sure she'll see to get you punished for this as I take these boys to Madam Pomfrey!"

"No, Professor, it wasn't her fault–" Sirius tried to explain but Professor Slughorn had already gone to help Mulciber and Avery up, snapping at them, "Off you go!"

Huffing, Jenna paced out of the chamber, Sirius following her behind, trying to catch up with her.

"I could've handled them," Jenna mumbled, not looking at Sirius as she walked quickly across the hall.

"Jenna, they were going to curse you–"

"–I don't want anybody to fight my battles for me." She cut him off.

"Oh, thank you Sirius for saving my arse." Sirius imitated a lofty voice, but then continued in his own voice, "It's alright, Jenny. Those two idiots deserved it. Oh, but you're my hero! Oh, stop it, Jenny, you're flattering me too much!"

Jenna rolled her eyes at that remark and decided to ignore it, saying, "What were you doing down there, anyway?"

"I came after you," said Sirius.

"Why?" Jenna raised a questioning brow at him.

"Well, when you left you said you were 'getting away from me'," Sirius started explaining, "so I thought I'd come after you to tease you a little more or jump out from behind a wall to scare you or something. But then I heard those mother–" Jenna gave him a warning look, "–truckers."

"You shouldn't have got yourself in trouble for me." she said more calmly.

"Don't say that," Sirius shook his hand, "if anything, those bastards got us into this. It was their fault. Surely McGonagall would see into this."

But she didn't.

It was a long way from the dungeons to Professor McGonagall's office, and so by the time Sirius and Jenna got there, McGonagall had already received an owl from Slughorn.

Apparently, Mulciber and Avery's point of view of the story was very different than theirs. And because of Sirius's and Jenna's reputation in trouble-making, nothing they said could convince McGonagall.

"You will receive your detention tomorrow after dinner in the trophy room. Both of you!" McGonagall said sternly, a look of disappointment on her face.

"Her too? But she didn't–!" Sirius tried to say, but McGonagall broke him off.

"Quiet, Mr. Black!" She barked.

***

"But — but that's completely unfair!" Lily complained as she and Jenna were sitting in the Gryffindor common room. "At least Sirius was a help, wasn't he?"

"I could've handled it myself." Jenna folded her arms, looking slightly annoyed.

"Oh, Jenna, don't tell me you're still mad at him!" Lily sighed. "I know Black can be a pain just like Potter sometimes – again, no offense – but it's been four years! You have to get over it!"