Chapter 178

The following day, there was an Order meeting set and almost everyone showed up to the headquarters, except for Jenna, who always used to show up alongside Sirius.

      But Sirius was all alone that day and wasn't showing the same enthusiasm that he usually had. In fact, no one had ever seen him in a fouler mood as he sat there, his eyes fixed on the table before him as he gritted his teeth together. No one even dared to go near him or to greet him that morning.

      But perhaps they had the right idea, because all hell broke loose when Dumbledore decided to finally speak to him.

       "Anything you'd like to say, Mr. Black?" Dumbledore asked after everyone was done giving their opinions on the newest matter.

      Sirius's cold yet angry eyes shot up at those words, glaring daggers at him.

      "There's lots I'd like to say, actually," Sirius started blankly, "like where the heck is my girlfriend!?"

       Silence fell across the hall as every eye turned to look at Sirius, meanwhile his glare was fixed on Dumbledore.

       "You know what happened last night?" Sirius questioned, breathing heavily through his nostrils. "She left. She didn't say where. She didn't say for how long. She — just — left!"

       James wanted to tell him to calm down, but he had known his best friend for long enough to know that sometimes there was no stopping Sirius when fury covered his sight.

      James understood why Jenna hadn't told Sirius about her mission. It was because she too knew that Sirius was known to act rashly and thoughtlessly in moments like this, and might've actually blurted her secret out unintentionally at one point.

      "Where is she, Dumbledore?" Sirius asked, his body slightly shaking in fury.

      "Mr. Black, I'm sure Miss Potter had her own reasons for keeping this matter quiet," Dumbledore said calmly. "For instance, I myself asked her not to talk to anyone about it, because the fewer people that know of her whereabouts, the better. So if you could just calm d —"

      "Calm down!? I'm not just any other people! I happen to be her fiancé! Or was, no thanks to you!" Sirius then angrily got to his feet and then took something out of his pocket, slamming it on the table.

      Lily, Marlene, and Alice's eyes widened when they saw that it was Jenna's engagement ring.

      "That's right. She just left last night like that," Sirius snarled through gritted teeth, his eyes now red with tears. "The one person that I loved more than anything in the world is gone! And I don't know where she is, or how long she'll be gone, or if she's even safe! Hell, I don't even know if I'll ever see her again! Just because she agreed to go on your stupid mission! How dare you ask me to calm down!?"

      Everyone was now staring between Sirius and Dumbledore in the dead silence of the room, but Peter was glancing up at them more curious than anyone else.

      But before anyone knew what was happening, they all let out a gasp when Sirius suddenly drew out his wand, pointing it down at Dumbledore, his whole body shaking in full anger.

      "Tell me where she is," he demanded, but Dumbledore only kept smiling sadly up at him.

       "I'm afraid, I cannot say. Her safety depends on it," Dumbledore reasoned. "Isn't that what you want, Mr. Black? For her to remain safe?"

      With his eyes still fixed on Dumbledore, Sirius slowly lowered his trembling arm, glaring at him. But at last he shook his head, took the ring in his hand, and made his way over the door, storming out.

***

The eerie darkness of that night would never escape Jenna's memory. She would forever remember the pitch-black curtain draped over the sky, and the twisted, warped shapes that the clouds made, blocking out the stars.

She couldn't believe how sudden everything had happened tonight. Her birthday which was only a few hours ago felt like a lifetime away from her.

      She hated herself for leaving Sirius that way, but perhaps not saying goodbye at all was the easiest goodbye. Although what she feared the most was the possibility of never seeing him again.

As the night wore on a much deeper, chilling color and darkness enwrapped itself around her, she drew out her wand. She no longer looked like herself, neither did she feel like her own self, and all she could hope for was to never forget who she was deep within.

Her heart was pounding mercilessly against her chest, but Jenna did not slow her pace, nor did the steady sound of her footsteps falter.

      She had appeared down a narrow lane under the moonlit night, her black cloak wrapped around her. And then, in the distant, she finally sighted a pair of massive wrought-iron gates. And behind those gates, she sighted an enormous manor, standing handsomely underneath the cloudy night-sky.

       But before she could reach it, she nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard someone Apparating behind her. So she abruptly jerked around and raised her wand.

      "Put that thing away!" someone demanded. When the person walked closer and into the moonlight, Jenna finally saw his face, recognizing him immediately.

      It was Amycus Carrow.

      "Where the hell have you been, Alecto!?" the wizard snarled, who was supposedly now her brother. So Jenna slowly lowered her arm. "And what happened to your wand!?"

       "Got into trouble with one of those darn Order members," Jenna said, her voice sounding exactly as Alecto, her gaze cold. "Blasted off my wand. Had to snatch another one."

      "Well, let's get inside," said Amycus impatiently, "we don't want to keep him waiting."