Chapter 89

Sirius and James were both in separate detentions that day. Sirius had thrown a dungbomb in Filch's office and when Filch started yelling his head off at Sirius who just kept laughing, James went forward to defend his friend. Which led both of them to detention.

       James was sent to hospital wing to change the bed sheets and organize them while Filch ordered Sirius to scrub the kitchen floor without using his wand or taking help from the elves.

        But James and Sirius had a great way of communication for whenever they were in separate detentions; their pair of two-way mirrors, in which they could see and talk to each other.

        "So let me get this straight," James started, laying down on one of the hospital's beds, resting. "You told Jenna that you loved her?"

         "Yeah." Sirius grinned, sipping on his Butterbeer which the elves had brought him as he sat down on one of the tables in the kitchen.

         "And she said it back?"

         "Yup."

         "You're just messin' with me," James scoffed.

        "What!? It happened, Prongs! Which part of it is unbelievable to you?"

       "Hmm, let me think..." said James in mock-thoughtfulness and rubbed his chin. "Oh, that's right! All of it."

        "Why!?"

       "Because A, since when have you become the lovey-dovey type? And B, I'm pretty sure Jenna hated you until quite recently."

      "She didn't hate me," Sirius retorted. "It was just — very — complicated."

      "Complicated how?"

      "Ugh, I dunno... I would do something, she would get mad, then we would make up, and then she would act really confusing. And we kept repeating the same cycle until I finally confessed."

       "You didn't confess, Padfoot. You were caught."

        "Same thing," said Sirius, shrugging. "Point is, she said it back."

        "Yeah, but you're lucky, beca —"

         "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?" James jumped up from the bed at Madam Pomfrey's shriek as she bursted into the room.

     Meanwhile Sirius laughed at James's face, watching him from the mirror.

         "You were supposed to change the bed sheets!" she kept on yelling. "Not admiring yourself in the mirror and talking out loud to yourself and disturbing my patients!"

         "Honestly, Poppy," James started with a grin, "I think your loud voice is more disturbing —"

      "OUT!"

***

As November proceeded, things were going smoothly and uneventful, except for Dumbledore's lessons. But even in them, Jenna seemed to have had a great progress, according to him.

       Jenna was sitting alone in the common room that morning, having told her friends to go on without her so she could wait up for Sirius, seeing as it was his birthday.

       She was reading a book on her armchair until she heard the boys' dormitory door open.

      Jenna then put her book down when she saw Sirius walking down the staircase along with James, Remus, and Peter.

       "Hello, birthday-boy," said Jenna playfully, going forward to hug him. Although Sirius soon pulled away and brought her into a kiss.

      "Ugh," James groaned in disgust, leaving the common room along with the others.

        "So where's my present?" Sirius asked, grinning as he held her.

       "What makes you think that I've got you any?" she raised a teasing brow at him.

        "Well, let's hope that you have, because otherwise we'll have to think of another way that could make it up to me," he said jokingly, wiggling his eyes brows at Jenna and making her laugh.

        "Like what?"

       "Just a few innocent kisses," said Sirius, shrugging.

        "Wait here," Jenna smiled, running up to her dorm and coming back a minute later with a terribly wrapped up box in her hands.

       "Nice wrapping," said Sirius sarcastically, taking the box from her.

       "Oh, just shut up and open it," Jenna giggled and so he started on, but his grin faded as he saw what was inside.

        "Wow thanks, Jenny. You didn't have to," he said flatly, taking the penknife out of it and eyeing it curiously, highly disappointed. "Can I get the kiss instead?"

      Jenna chuckled, shaking her head. "That knife is more than it looks like. It can open any lock."

       "Woah, really?" Sirius mused, looking impressed as he placed the knife back in the box. "Thanks, Kitten."

       "You're welcome," she winked at him, smiling sweetly.

      "Anyway," Sirius started with a mischievous grin, "the boys and I were planning on sneaking off to Hogsmeade tonight. You know... for some Firewhiskey at Hog's Head to celebrate me coming of age. You wanna join us?"

       "I — I can't, Sirius," said Jenna sadly. "I'm sorry."

      "Why not?"

       "I promised Lily that we would study together tonight," Jenna replied.

     Although the truth was, she had another lesson with Dumbledore, and she was growing tired of having to lie to the people she cared about.

***

The rest of the day went by cheerfully, although a gloomy atmosphere fell upon the whole castle that day over lunch.

Professor Flitwick went over the Ravenclaw table, asking a fifth year girl to follow him out of the Great Hall with a sad expression all over his face.

Everyone fell silent as they watched the girl with long raven black hair follow him out hurriedly.

They all knew what it usually meant when the Head of a house asked a student to leave with them; they either wanted to inform them of the death of a family member, or someone being severely injured or missing. Either way, it was always bad news.

"Poor girl..." Alice sighed, watching them leave. "I usually see her in the library."

"What's her name again?" Marlene asked, frowning.

"Alexandra Starling, I think," Alice answered. "She's a really nice girl."

      "Her friend is Ravenclaw's new Quidditch captain," Jenna stated. "He always hangs around with her."

      But Lily suddenly sighed miserably, moving the food on her plate around with her fork thoughtfully. "I really hope this comes to an end soon. All of it."

"I-it will," Jenna nodded firmly. "It has to. Otherwise... I don't know how many others are going to become their victims. I can't imagine what that poor Ravenclaw girl is going through right now. I would lose it if the smallest thing happened to someone I cared about." 

        "Okay — let's — let's change the subject," said Alice quickly, hating to see her friends being tensed up.