Chapter 10

In the next month, Sirius had made it his mission to annoy Jenna more than ever. He thought that it would make him feel better, for some reason.

But each time he tried to get her attention, things would get out of hand.

That day in Transfigurations class, Jenna was sitting next to Marlene, and James and Sirius were sitting behind them on the row to their right.

"Psst, Potter!" Sirius called out to Jenna to get her attention.

     But as she was about to turn her head over to see what he wanted, her elbow got caught on the ink bottle, causing the whole ink to drip all over her notes.

"MERLIN'S BALLS!" Jenna yelled.

McGonagall's head jerked back, furious as she looked over the crowd. "Who said that!?"

Knowing that McGonagall suspected that the voice had come from their direction, Jenna quickly said with a gasp, "Marlene! Watch your tongue!"

McGonagall's deadly glance got fixed on Marlene. Looking horrified, Marlene tried to say, "No! Professor – I didn't – she–!"

But there was no point in explaining, because McGonagall had already snapped, "Detention, Miss McKinnon!"

Marlene turned her face and glared at Jenna, who was sniggering, trying hard not roar in laughter.

"You're dead, Potter!" Marlene hissed at her in a low whisper.

***

That day in Potions, Lily was sitting with Snape as always, yet as it seemed, they weren't on speaking terms again.

Jenna was sitting behind James and Sirius, glancing at the boys' table every once in a while.

     But whenever she came to herself and found herself staring at their direction, Jenna would quickly shake her head and look away.

     Alice was humming a song dreamily to herself as she looked at the ingredients that Slughorn had placed on their tables.

     Her gaze suddenly fell upon the rather big purple caterpillar that was moving in a glass.

     "Ooh!" Alice let out a giggle, taking the large caterpillar out and raising it in the sky, looking at it with fascination. "I shall name you Bernard!"

     Jenna sighed and shook her head. "Alice, you can't name him. That's our potions' ingredients."

     "No," Alice giggled, still looking at the caterpillar, "Bernard's my new pet."

     Jenna pursed her lips together sadly, knowing how heartbroken Alice was going to become now that Sughorm would come any moment to their table and force Alice to throw Bernard in her burning cauldron.

But just then, Jenna's curiosity surfaced as she saw Sirius and James smirking at Snape's direction.

     With a nod of agreement, Sirius took out his wand and then took something out of his pocket which looked like a toffee.

He then pointed his wand at the toffee and made it float and fly towards Snape's cauldron. Snape was busy writing notes in his book that he didn't seem to have noticed that Sirius had dropped the toffee into his cauldron with his wand.

The next moment, Snape's cauldron exploded and burst the green potion all over his robes and face. The whole class roared with laughter at the sight.

"Mr. Snape!" Professor Sughorn exclaimed.

"Professor! They – they did it, sir!" Severus snapped, pointing a finger sharply at James and Sirius's direction.

But when the whole class turned to look at them, they saw James reading his book with a frown and rubbing his chin thoughtfully. And next to him, there was Sirius, stirring his potion as he hummed a song to himself.

"Mr. Potter and Mr. Black seem to be busy with their own work, Mr. Snape." said Sughorn, looking back at Snape.

     Slughorn then took out his wand and with a wave of it, the mess disappeared. He threw a disapproving glance at Snape and so shaking his head in disappointment, he went to look at other students' work.

It was lucky that Lily wasn't standing too close to Snape, or she would also become James's and Sirius's victim, who were sniggering now that Slughorn had his back on them.

Snape was brilliant when it came to potion making, but with James and Sirius on the next table, throwing exploding toffees in his cauldron all the time, it certainly didn't seem like he was much good at it.

     When the class was over, Alice looked ever so depressed that she had only managed to have Bernard as a pet for merely ten minutes.

     "Each of you must turn in two rolls of parchment for an essay regarding the Draught of Peace potion. I'll collect them on Monday." said Slughorn as everyone was packing. "Oh, and before I forget;"

     He then walked towards where Jenna and Lily were standing, saying, "You two have done wonderfully in my class in these five years. And as you've probably heard, I have a club for fourth years and older, and I would love for you to come tonight, for supper."

    "Yes, it would be an honor, sir," said Lily politely, beaming.

     "And you, Miss Potter?"

     "Of course, sir." Jenna nodded hesitantly, not sure if she wanted to join the Slug Club. It sounded lame.

     "Splendid!" Slughorn clapped his hands together. "Then wait for my owl tonight!"

     He then turned on Sirius and James who were trying to get out of the class with Peter and Remus as fast as possible. "You two would be welcome to join us, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Black." said Slughorn.

     But the two boys had already ran out of the door along with Peter and Remus, before Slughorn could even get the chance to finish his sentence.