Chapter 192

Sirius and Jenna stayed with Lily and James for long hours and into the night, trying to comfort them and reassure them that everything was going to be all right. That Harry was going to be safe.

"I'll see you two tomorrow then," said Sirius when him and Jenna were finally leaving. "At dusk, as promised."

"Thank you, Padfoot." James smiled at his best friend. "We really appreciate it."

"Of course." Sirius grinned.

"Well... I guess this is goodbye." Jenna sighed. "I don't think I'll be able to see you guys for some while, with both the Death Eaters and Aurors after me. But as soon as my name's cleared and all this madness is over... Sirius and I were actually hoping to finally get married."

"That's amazing, Jen!" Lily laughed happily, smiling at her softly. "And who knows? Maybe if you and Sirius got a move on, you could have a kid soon and make Marlene's wish come true. You know... for all three of our kids growing up together."

Jenna felt her throat go sore at the mention of Marlene's name, but she laughed through teary eyes all the same, nodding.

"Hey! I just realized something!" James suddenly exclaimed. "If you guys have a kid, that would mean I'll get to be an uncle!"

"You just realized that?" Jenna shook her head at him in disbelief. "Merlin... and I thought you were the smart one in our family."

"Now, now, little sister," James grinned, "no need to be jealous."

Jenna rolled her eyes at him playfully. "For the hundredth time! You can't call me little sister! I'm only eleven minutes younger!"

"Ah, yes," James sighed mockingly, "the best eleven minutes of my life."

Jenna laughed, moving forward and brining her brother into a hug as she whispered, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, J.P," James whispered back, hugging her tight.

Afterwards, Jenna then went to hug Lily, pulling away with a small yet reassuring smile. "I'll see you soon."

But just before they were about to leave, Lily sprang forward and grabbed a hold on Jenna's arm, stopping her with tears in her illuminating green eyes.

"Look, Jen... if anything happens to us... you will take care of Harry, right?"

"Don't talk like that, Lil. Nothing's going to happen —"

"But just say it did happen," she cut Jenna off, "look after Harry. Please..."

Jenna didn't know what to say to that, so she just moved forward and brought Lily to yet another embrace as she whispered, "I will."

***

That night when Sirius and Jenna returned back to their own house, they both laid on the bed motionlessly, staring up at the ceiling in silence.

"You know what I've been thinking?" Jenna said, breaking the silence.

"Hmm?" Sirius mused, glancing at her sideways.

"That maybe it was smart that they chose you as their Secret Keeper and not me."

"How come?" Sirius questioned, turning his head to look over at her.

"Because I would've been too obvious." Jenna shrugged lightly. "I'm James's twin sister, Lily's best friend, and Harry's aunt and Godmother. I've been in touch with both the Order and the Death Eaters. Voldemort would've expected them to choose me."

Sirius fell silent at those words and turned his head back to stare at the ceiling, his mind racing as the realization suddenly hit him.

"Then... wouldn't I be just as obvious?" Sirius muttered, talking mostly to himself. "Voldemort would know that James trusts me more than any one of his friends."

"Yeah, but between you and I, you're the less obvious choice," Jenna said, sighing at last. "You better get some sleep if you want to wake up early tomorrow."

"Yeah..."

But Sirius stayed up a bit longer, unable to sleep. The more he thought about it, the more he realized how right Jenna was. He would've been too obvious.

They had to choose someone else.

***

The next morning when Jenna woke up without Sirius by her side, she suddenly got a sickening feeling of worry. But when she left the bedroom, she found Sirius in the kitchen, cooking.

"Back so soon?" she said as she walked toward him, placing a small kiss on his cheek. She felt more reassured to see him back safely, but the feeing of worry was still in her guts.

"It's not soon, Jenny," he said, grinning as he flipped over the pancakes. "I was there hours ago. You just slept in. So I decided to make you some pancakes."

"Oh, Lord..." Jenna mumbled in mock-fear, causing Sirius to shot her a look before they both broke down into chuckles.

"So it's done?" Jenna asked. "They've performed the Fidelius Charm."

"Yeah..." Sirius said quietly, avoiding her gaze. "It's done."

After a few minutes, Sirius finally put down the two plates of pancakes before each of them on their small kitchen table, sitting down in front of Jenna.

"Now, go easy on me, Jenny," he said with a grin. "I haven't made pancakes for more than seven months now."

Jenna laughed, but the moment she put the first piece in her mouth, she clapped a hand to her mouth from disgust.

"It's good," she managed to say weakly, struggling to swallow it as she forced a smile.

But the moment she placed the second piece in her mouth, she felt suddenly felt sick in her stomach. So feeling like she was just about to puke, Jenna abruptly jumped to her feet and ran toward the bathroom, dropping herself to her knees before the toilet and throwing up.

Moments later, Sirius showed up at the bathroom door and sat beside her with a grimace, holding back her hair.

"I'm sorry, Jenny," he said sheepishly. "But... I mean... it wasn't that bad, though..."

When Jenna finally caught her breath, she turned to glare at Sirius from over her shoulder, saying jokingly, "Damn you and your pancakes, Black."