Chapter 61

Jenna, James, and Sirius sat down at the breakfast table, none of them touching their plates as they stared down at them.

     Under James's suggestion, they had all brought down their wands and held them in their hands, just in case something unexpected was going to happen and they would have to defend themselves.

     But after an hour or two, their heads shot up at the sound of someone Apparating outside in the yard.

     Giving each other a look, all three of them stood up to their feet and ran outside, their wands still clenched in their fists.

     But as they walked outside, they came upon Mia and Fleamont Potter, strolling through the yard at ease.

     "Hey, kids," Mrs. Potter waved at the kindly. "How are y — hang on," she narrowed her eyes at their hands. "Why do you have your wands out? You're underage!"

     "Planning to kill us, are you?" said Mr. Potter in mock suspicion. "Want to inherit the house? Well, fat chance!"

     "Where were you!?" James asked angrily as they reached them and came to a stop.

     Mr. Potter took aback, as it was a rare occasion that his kids hadn't laughed at his jokes. "What do you mean? We can't go out of the house if we want to?"

"No, you can," James shrugged casually. "I'm just asking where you were. Surely it wouldn't be hard to answer."

"We were — er — grocery shopping," said Mr. Potter.

"Then where are the shopping bags?" Jenna raised a brow at them knowingly.

"We were out of money."

"Mum's purse is right in her hands," James pointed.

"Then we — we went to see your great aunt Dorea."

"Aunt Dorea died two years ago, Dad!" Jenna retorted.

"Then we —"

"Fleamont, please stop talking," Mrs. Potter cut him off, sighing miserably.

She then turned to her kids, saying, "We were at work, but seeing as it was dangerous, we didn't tell you so you wouldn't worry."

"Oh, yeah?" James grinned. "Well, we contacted your office just an hour ago —"

"—And turns out you two are big fat liars," Jenna finished.

Both her and James grinned and they folded their arms, looking at their parents knowingly.

"Oh, bollocks," Mrs. Potter sighed under her breath, shaking her head. "I'm too tired for this."

She then left their side and walked inside. Immediately, the three of them turned on Mr. Potter for answers, who gulped.

"Er... what did you say, Mia?" he called out at where Mrs. Potter had left, even though she hadn't said anything. "Oh, you want me to come too? Oh, alright!"

And with that, he too walked away from them, trying to avoid their gazes as he went inside.

***

Realizing after a few hours of persuasion that there was no way their parents were going to tell them where they had been, James and Jenna finally decided to let the matter go.

     Being extremely hungry for not eating breakfast, they joined their parents for lunch in the dining room along with Sirius.

     After they were done eating, Mrs. Potter called them out to help clear the table up, but of course everyone had their own excuse.

     "Mum, you can't possibly ask Sirius to help after the traumatizing thing he's been through!" James said in mock concern, trying to grab his mother's pity.

     Meanwhile Sirius stood in the back, watching them with an amused grin playing on his lips.

     "Oh, alright," Mrs. Potter sighed in defeat. "But that's no excuse for you, Jamsie boy! You're still helping."

    "But mother," he continued, "it would be very rude of me not to escort my guest to his room and to leave him alone, while he had laid his comfort and trust in me —"

     "Ugh, fine," she rolled her eyes. "Just shut up and get out of my kitchen."

     James and Sirius grinned as they ran upstairs and Mrs. Potter watched them leave, shaking her head with a smile.

     "Oy! Where do you think you're going, young lady?" Mrs. Potter put her hands on her hips as Jenna tried to tiptoe her way out of the kitchen, but got caught.

     "Escorting James's honorable guest to his room?" Jenna tried hopefully, but Mrs. Potter gave her a look.

     But she then chuckled, shaking her hand at her daughter. "Don't worry, I don't want you to help."

     "Really?" said Jenna cheerfully.

     "Yeah, Mickey will take care of it," she smiled. "I let the boys go so we could have a girl-to-girl talk. To you think they could really get away from helping if I actually wanted them here?"

     Jenna giggled, shaking her head. "Of course not."

     "Alright, then," said Mrs. Potter, sitting behind the table and gesturing Jenna to do the same. "Tell me all about this year. How're things with Remus?"

     "Er..." Jenna started awkwardly, sitting down before her mother. "I think we've got a lot of catching up to do."

      With that, Jenna went on and told her mother all that had happened that year; from Remus rejecting her, to Sirius's Christmas letters and presents and his moodiness when he had found out that Jenna hadn't opened it yet.

     She told her mother about the moment she had shared with Sirius at the Astronomy tower and explained how he had smiled when he told her that she was his first kiss. Jenna even talked about her fight with Sirius and how they had made up just last night.

     Although she was careful to leave out the part that Remus was a werewolf, that she turned into a cat to accompany him almost every month, and didn't dare to mention Sirius's unexpected approach to her after Slughorn's Christmas party.

     And when she was done, a smile crept through her mother's face. "Well, I'm really sorry that things didn't work out with Remus."

     "Then why are you smiling?"

     "Because, Jenny," Mrs. Potter grinned, mimicking how Sirius had been calling her and finally said, "I think young Mr. Black has feelings for you."