Chapter 187

Jenna departed with Avery — who was going to believe whatever she had told him — and so she followed Amycus away after he had told her that they'd been summoned by Rookwood.

Apparently, Rookwood had captured one of the Order members, but Amycus wouldn't tell Jenna who it was, insisting to keep it as a surprise with a sneer on his face.

While they were making their way out of the Malfoy Manor so they could Disapparate, Jenna feared that this might've been a trap. So she held onto her wand tightly, keeping it at the ready.

Amycus led her to a small town near London and they Apparated before an old house with broken windows and no light to lead them through the dark. It was obvious that no one had lived in it for ages and no sound could be heard from inside it; although the latter could've been due to protection enchantments cast upon it.

So with her wand still tightly held in her grasp, Jenna followed Amycus inside. But the moment they closed the empty house's door behind them, she jumped out of her skin when a triggering scream erupted through the place.

Amycus sniggered as he walked further into the house. Jenna hesitated at first, but then gulping, she followed him with her trembling legs.

The most horrible thoughts were making their way toward her head, but all her fears and her nightmares became her reality as she stepped inside the hall to their left.

Right there, in the middle of the room which was empty of all furniture except for black curtain, there was a chair. And Jenna's heart dropped painfully when she saw James Potter sitting upon it, his hands tied behind it as sweat was dripping down his forehead.

Jenna stood frozen at the doorway with her eyes fixed on her brother who was panting, while Amycus walked inside to greet Rookwood and another Death Eater Jenna recognized from the wanted posters as Walden Macnair.

"Amycus — Alecto! What took you two so long?" Rookwood snarled.

But at the mention of the familiar name, James mustered all the power he had left in him and looked up, his eyes widening at the sight of Alecto Carrow, knowing all too well that this was his sister.

Before going away, Jenna had told her brother about her mission and had showed him the face of the person she was going to go undercover as.

"Now what's the deal with this one?" Amycus said with a sneer, glancing down at James as if he were scum. "How did you manage to get your hands on this one?"

"Quiet easy to find him. He'd been out of his little hideout. He'd probably gotten tired of staying in their little rathole." Rookwood smirked.

But Jenna still hadn't managed to move a single muscle as he stared back at James. It had been around six months since the last time she had seen her brother, and now that they were finally reunited, she was still undercover as a Death Eater and he was tied to a chair, tortured for information.

"But he's a tough one, this one," Macnair said bitterly, grimacing. "He's been able to fight against the Imprius Curse. And even when we tried to torture him to get stuff out about the order, he still wouldn't spit out a single word."

"Well, the solution is easy, innit?" Amycus started, his eyes on James. "We should summon the Dark Lord. Meanwhile, we'll torture this little bastard to see if we can get him to talk."

James glared up at him as he mumbled weakly, "Go to hell."

The three Death Eaters laughed, but Jenna was still frozen on her spot, feeling like her heart would break her ribcage any moment if it beat any faster.

"I'll call upon him," said Rookwood proudly, rolling up his sleeve to touch the Dark Mark with his wand.

"Alecto, would you do the honor?" Amycus smirked, his glance still on James.

Jenna turned to look at him, her lips trembling. "Wh-what?"

"Go on. Take out your wand," said Amycus. "See what you can get out of him."

Jenna stared at him. She could hardly breathe anymore. This was her worst nightmare coming true. A nightmare she'd had many times, in which she was torturing and killing the people she loved. But she couldn't do that to James. Not even for the sake of her mission.

"What has gotten into you lately, Alecto!?" Amycus snapped sharply. "This is your third time refusing to curse someone! It used to give you joy! It's as if someone's put you under the Imperius Curse, the way you behave!"

"Well, there's only one way to find out if she's still on our side or under the Imperius Curse," said Macnair, and before Jenna could react, he drew out his wand and point it at her. "Kill him."

"No!" Rookwood said quickly. "I've summoned the Dark Lord. He would want this boy alive! What use is he to him if he's dead!?"

"Fine," Macnair said coldly, his eyes still upon Jenna. "Take out your wand and prove to us that you haven't changed. Use the Cruciatus Curse."

Jenna's entire body was now shaking uncontrollably as she stared between Macnair and her brother, her mind racing and her head hurting.

But just then, without anyone noticing, James gave her a small nod, as if to silently tell her to get done with it. Because he knew that if she didn't torture him, she would blow her cover. But if she did it, at least she would remain safe, and that was all that mattered to James.

So with her hand still trembling and her eyes looking back at James, Jenna shakily raised her wand and pointed it down at him.

She then muttered almost inaudibly, "I'm sorry, J.P."