Chapter 23

Jenna stood off the armchair and made her way to the other side of the common room, causing Lily, Marlene, and Alice to send each other questioning glances.

     Jenna then quickened her pace and caught up with James and his three friends at the bottom of the dormitory staircase, causing them to stop.

     She then turned to Sirius and said, "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

They all looked as if they thought that they had probably heard her wrong. But as Jenna kept her eyes on Sirius, they were assured.

     By that, Remus quickly turned on his heels and walked away without warning, closing the boys' dormitory door behind him.

     James and Peter hesitated at first but at last, with one glance at Sirius who shrugged, followed Remus upstairs.

     "Yes, Kitten?" Sirius grinned.

     "I'm gonna pretend you didn't call me that," said Jenna bitterly, but then shook her head. "Look, what are you doing on Friday night?"

     "Well," his grin widened, "if things go smoothly, Gwenog Jones, if you know what I mean." he winked mischievously.

     "Gwenog Jones?" Jenna's face fell. "But she's – she's Hufflepuff's Quidditch captain."

      "Yeah, she is."

     "But – but she's a seventh year!"

     "So?"

     "And you're a fifth year!"

     "Yes, I'm aware."

     "But – she's also invited to Sughorn's Christmas party."

     "I know," Sirius nodded, placing his hands in his pockets. "She invited me."

     "And you said yes?"

     "Yes."

     Jenna paused for a few seconds. "Why?"

     Sirius took aback at her tone. "What do you mean why? She asked me and I thought, meh, why not? Might have some fun at the end of the party, fingers crossed." he chuckled.

     Jenna's lips curled and for some reason unknown to her she felt a sudden urge to punch him across his grinning face.

     "Why did you ask, anyway?" Sirius mused.

     "I wanted to ask you to the party," Jenna said, feeling slightly disappointed. "As a friend," she added.

     Sirius's grin faded while he stared at her with such shock as if he had heard her wrong. "W-what?"

     "Well, never mind now." Jenna rolled her eyes, returning to the corner where her friends were sitting and started packing her stuff and putting her books in her bag.

     "Hang on!" Sirius called after her when he had finally come to himself and so immediately walked towards her. "You were gonna ask me?"

     "Yes," Jenna said flatly, not looking at him. "I believe that's what I said."

     "Well... I – uh – I can tell Jones that I'm going with you," he said quickly. "I can tell her–"

     "–Don't bother," Jenna cut him off, throwing her bag over her shoulder. "I don't want to get on your way of having some fun."

     Without waiting for his response, she turned on her heels and started walking upstairs towards the girls' dormitory.

     "Jenna! Wait!" Sirius quickly ran after her without thinking, but he was on the fourth stair that the staircase suddenly turned into a slide and he fell down with a yelp.

     Lily and Alice gasped and got to their feet, trying to make sure he hadn't broken his neck.

     Meanwhile Marlene sat there still and grinned. "Cool!" she muttered.

***

"I still can't believe you asked Black," said Lily as she sat on her bed with Alice right behind her, who was combing her red hair gently.

     "Well, I'm not going with him now, am I?" Jenna huffed, putting her strawberry lipstick gloss on as she stood in front of the mirror.

     "Who did you ask, anyway?" said Marlene, already under her blankets even though it was only eight o'clock.

     "Uh – Clint," said Jenna in a mumble.

     "Clint?" Marlene sat up abruptly on her bed and stared at Jenna in disbelief. "Our-Gryffindor-keeper Clint?"

     "How many other Clints do you know?" said Jenna.

     "A lot!" said Marlene stubbornly.

     "Oh, yeah?" Jenna grinned, turning on her. "Name one."

    Marlene folded her arms and mumbled, "I don't want to."

     "That's what I thought," Jenna smirked triumphantly and turned back on the mirror.

     "Don't test me tonight, Potter! I'm on my moon day," Marlene snarled. "I can beat the magic out of you!"

     "You wanna bet?" Jenna looked back at her challengingly.

     But before Marlene could answer, Lily leaped off the bed quickly, trying to stop a war from happening. "Okay, let's go now!" And with one last wave, she pushed Jenna out of the dormitory.

     Jenna was wearing a pearl-pink dress which was short and lacy. She had even turned her hair the same color to match it all, giving it her natural wave.

"Good thinking, that you asked that Ravenclaw boy from the Slug Club," said Jenna as they were making their way down the stairs. "That's so much easier, going with another club member, as friends."

"Yeah," said Lily. "Nick said we could meet up in the Entrance Hall."

But before Jenna could say anything else on the matter, they came to a halt as they reached the bottom of the staircase at the same time as Sirius had come down the boys' stairs.

He was wearing a neat suit with a tailcoat, looking as dashing as ever, if not more.

Sirius stared up at Jenna, his lips slightly apart at her sight. He opened his mouth, trying to make out words. But no sound seemed to come out of his throat, as if he had forgotten what language to speak in.

"You l —" Sirius tried to say, but he was cut off by another voice.

"–Hey, Jenna!" It was Clint, standing up from the couch and walking towards them. "Wow, you look great!"

"Thanks, Clint." Jenna grinned. "You don't look too bad yourself."

Clint chuckled at that and then raised his arm for Jenna to take. And so by one last wave at Lily and Sirius, she wrapped her hand around his arm and the two walked out of the common room.

Sirius glared at their back as he watched them leave. His heartbeat picked up and all he wanted to do was to turn into a big dog and bite Clint's face off. But he shook his head immediately.

Get yourself together, Black, he thought to himself grimly, what is the matter with you? She's just another girl.