Chapter 162

***

***

Jenna didn't know that feeling such pain in her souls was possible. But to lose both her parents in the same day proved her wrong. There was an ache in her heart that she wasn't sure if it would ever end.

By the day their funeral arrived, Jenna was out of tears. Her hair had gone to brown and she didn't seem to be able to change it anymore. But she didn't care.

As she stood in her room before the mirror, she straightened her plain black dress, her face emotionless and the dark bags under her eyes visible.

"Ready to go?" Turning around, she saw Sirius at the doorway in his black suit, his face just as miserable as hers, if not worse.

Jenna nodded as she put on her coat, but couldn't bear to utter a word, afraid that she would break and burst into tears once more.

As they stepped out of the house, Sirius held onto her hand and they Dissaparated, appearing in the Potter Manor's back yard.

Other than James and Lily, a few people had already arrived before the time as well, including Alice, Frank, Remus, Marlene, and Peter. They all took turn in hugging Jenna, paying their respects.

But the moment Jenna caught her brother's eyes, she came to a halt in shock as she realized something different in his looks.

"James... your hair..." Jenna said in a hollow voice, staring at her brother's strangely neat jet-black hair.

"Yeah," James gave a sad smile. "Mum always tried to make it stop being messy... Thought I would put a spell on it for a change."

Feeling her eyes tear up, Jenna chuckled lightly at the memories of her mother struggling to flatten James's messy hair. By that, she went forward and brought James into a hug, crying silently into his chest.

Trying hard not to let his tears stream down for the sake of his sister, James wrapped his arms tightly around Jenna and stroke her dark hair, placing a small kiss on her head.

Sirius made a move to walk forward and to comfort Jenna, but Lily took his arm gently to stop him.

"Let them have this moment to themselves," Lily whispered, her own eyes red with tears.

So Sirius took a step back and looked away from James and Jenna, who were both crying silently in each other's arms.

But their attention was then caught by Mickey's loud sniff and when they turned around, they saw him crying loudly nearby, large tears leaving his eyes.

"M-my poor Master and Mistress... oh, what is Mickey going do without them!" He cried miserably.

James and Jenna gave each other a knowing look and when he nodded, she started walking toward the house-elf as planned.

"Hey," Jenna called out to him, causing the house-elf to look up at her, his big eyes filled with tears.

She then got to her knees to level herself up with the house-elf, trying to give him a smile.

"Look, Mickey..." Jenna started, "James and I were talking... and we realized that with the risk of us being attacked at home every day, staying here isn't really safe for you. So... we thought that it's best if you went to Hogwarts, with the other house-elves."

Mickey's eyes shot up at those words and widened even more.

"It's the safest place there is for you," said James. "We've already spoke with Professor Dumbledore. He quite agrees."

"W-will that make young M-master and Mistress happy?" Mickey sobbed. James and Jenna nodded hesitantly. "Th-then Mickey is happy."

And so, with one last deep bow at the two, Mickey Dissaparated to go to Hogwarts' kitchens.

      Soon, everybody else arrived for the funeral in their black robes and cloaks; from all the members of the Order to their Ministry friends, all mourning this terrible loss.

Fleamont and Euphemia's graves where somewhere out of sight, at the back of the enormous yard and under a willow tree and by a small creek flowing by. This was where they wanted to rest forever.

As Jenna looked around, a small smile crept through her face despite the ache in her heart.

She was reminded of the day their parents had taught her and James how to play Quidditch for the first time in their back yard.

She remembered the day they had gotten their Hogwarts letter at the age of eleven. Fleamont was so happy that he almost set the couch on fire.

      Jenna thought back of how their parents would argue all the time and go back and forth, but it somehow always ended in laughter when Fleamont did something silly that made Euphemia shake her head at him and sigh.

     But Jenna was snapped back to reality when James walked up front, facing the others, ready for his speech as the rest of them sat down on the chairs set outside in long rows.

     "Once my dad told me," James started sternly, "Son, if you don't end up in Gryffindor, we'll disown you." Everyone chuckled at that, even though their faces were all wet with tears. "To be honest, our father might not have said many wise words in his lifetime, but he sure were the light and soul of this house. I don't remember a day that had gone by without the sound of laughter coming from our home."

      Jenna found herself smiling at those words, the teardrops rolling down her eyes. Sirius was holding onto her hand, caressing her knuckle softly with his thumb.

       "And Mum..." James went on, "let's just say, she had dedicated her whole life to get me and Jenna behave. Which she failed, may I add." There was another sound of light laughter. "But... I'm glad to know that her last words were that she was proud of us."

      His eyes then met Jenna's eyes and he gave her a sad smile.

     "The truth is," James continued after a short pause, "they gave us the greatest gift anyone could be given in their lifetime; amazing parents and memories to look back at and smile. I'm sure that we're all going to miss them, but I'll hold on to every moment I had spent with them till the end, and keep their memories alive in my mind."

      Once James sat back down, Sirius gave Jenna's hand a gentle squeeze to get her attention. "Jenna..." he whispered.

      Jenna knew that it was her turn to give a speech. So taking a heavy breath and holding her paper in her hands, she got to her feet and walked up front.

       But the moment she stood there and before she could open her mouth and say anything, the horrible thoughts that were haunting her made their way through her head again.

      Jenna realized once more that her parents weren't going to be at her wedding, to give her away, and to dance with her. She realized that they weren't going to be there to see Lily and James's baby, or any future child of her own.

      She became fully aware that they were gone. That she was never going to see them again. That their house was sentenced to remain silent and soulless for eternity.

      So as she glanced around with her vision blurred with tears, Jenna shook her head and crumbled the paper in her hands.

      "I'm s-sorry..." she whispered. "I can't do this." And with that, she ran away and back to the house, her tears streaming down her cheeks, the pain in her heart and soul becoming unbearable.