Chapter 184

Jenna felt her whole world crumble down at the mention of that name. She suddenly felt it hard to breathe, as if there was no air left in the room to reach her lungs.

But mustering all that she had left in her, Jenna turned to face Travers and said in the most cold voice she could manage, "The McKinnons? What happened?"

"Oh, great things happened, all right..." said Travers, his smirk broadening by the passing second as Jenna's heartbeat picked up.

"Well?" Avery said impatiently.

"I found them. I found their hiding place just a few hours ago, after the Dark Lord had set me the mission a few months ago," Travers explained, a sneer spreading across his face. "So I summoned Rosier and we went after them."

Jenna was now shaking as she stared unblinkingly at him, feeling her whole body go numb as she did everything in her power to prevent herself from taking her wand at that same moment and to curse Travers right on the spot.

"There they were, thinking that they were safe in that little home of theirs," said Travers, arrogance slipping off his tongue as he spoke. "Bet they didn't see it coming."

She didn't want to listen anymore. She didn't want to think what could've possibly happened tonight as she thought of her friend of ten years. As she thought of Marlene.

But Travers went on, now that all the Death Eaters' attentions were on him.

"Rosier and I got into their house. At first we thought they weren't home. It was so quiet there. But then we heard their father yelling after them to go and hide. They couldn't Apparate within the house to escape."

"Let me guess," Dolohov started, smirking, "it's because they were stupid enough to have put enchantments upon their house to prevent us from getting in."

"Precisely," said Travers smugly. "So as their two kids ran upstairs, their parents came forward, trying their best to put up a fight. But they were no match to us. Neither of them."

Jenna was doing all she could to prevent herself from screaming and bursting into tears, forcing herself to sit back on her spot to keep her cover, even though it was worse than torture to have to hear all this.

"So we went upstairs after the other two," Travers went on speaking proudly. "They had tried to lock the door with magic. How naive of them... we broke into the room where they were hiding. The older girl was there, standing right before her little brother protectively with her wand in her shaky hand, saying 'if you want to get to him, you'll have to go through me first' as she sobbed."

The Death Eaters broke down into laughter at those words, but Jenna only stared away, clutching onto the arms of her chair, forgetting how to breathe as she felt like she was going to suffocate any moment now.

"It was so easy to kill her," he said. "And her little brother... poor kid... it was even easier to get rid of him, because he was too busy crying and screaming over his sister's dead body."

And that did it. Jenna got to her feet, losing control over her numb body and stormed out of the hall, ignoring Amycus's yells after her. The pain was too much for her to handle.

She Disapparated out of the Malfoy Manor the moment she stepped outside and got back to the Carrow household. There was a roaring in her ears that made her lose track of what was going on around her.

The moment she got back to her room and shut the door, she collapsed on the floor and screamed her lungs out as she still held onto the knob, relieved that at least the enchantments were still around the room. But she hardly cared at that moment.

She didn't care if someone walked in the room and found her like that. She didn't care if they figured out who she was. And for a minute, she even wished that they would find her and kill her on the spot, giving an end to her misery and pain. Because at that moment, death would've been a mercy.

Jenna kept screaming and crying, as if that would've helped to empty her of all the pain and the feeling of hurt. But it was pointless. She couldn't take the image off her head of Marlene standing before Marvin, trying to protect her little brother till her last breath.

Jenna's heart then lurched painfully as she though back of Lily and Alice. Had they heard about Marlene's death? Had anyone even found their bodies yet?

She couldn't get herself to stop thinking about them, and where they were right now, laying dead on the cold floor.

Jenna's memories flashed before her eyes, from all the days she used to spend with her friend. She couldn't imagine a world without Marlene; the bright girl who was the heart and soul of their group. The careless girl who made them laugh all day long, lightening up their moods no matter what they were going through.

      But Marlene was gone. She was mo longer going to be there to see Harry and Neville grow up like she always talked about. She was never going to fall in love.

She was gone, and she was never coming back.