Chapter 37

The four girls huddled around a table in the library that day after their classes, trying to do as much work as they could before another day of tiresome lessons could bend them down.

"Ugh, I can't do this!" Marlene whined, throwing her quill angrily on the table before her, causing Madam Pince to send her a nasty look. "Some people are just not meant to study! And in this case, I'm some people."

     "Well, if you tried to study more instead of sleeping so much—"

      "—Don't you dare get in the middle of my relationship with my nap times, young lady!" Marlene broke Lily off, pointing a warning finger at her. "I think I might even marry it some day."

     "Weren't you married to fries already?" Lily grinned.

     "Hey, this is my life; I shall be married to more things than one if I see it fit," said Marlene stubbornly, but when her eyes fell on her Potions' book again, she groaned. "I'm gonna get a Poor in my O.W.Ls, aren't I?"

      "Oh, chill out woman!" Jenna shook her head. "You won't get a P. Trust me."

      "Really?" Marlene raised her head up at her hopefully. "You think so?"

      "Of course," Jenna shrugged but then smirked, saying, "Maybe a good old Troll."

      "That's even worse!" Marlene cried out, banging her head on the table where her book laid. "Ugh! This is a disaster! My life is over!"

      "Oh, quit being such a drama queen!" Jenna shook her head playfully, but when caught Lily giving her a look, she rolled her eyes and said to Marlene, "I know a story that can make you feel better."

     "What story?" Marlene mumbled, her forehead still resting on her book.

     "Once upon a time, there was a girl who one day suddenly decided not to give a damn," said Jenna. "And then she lived happily ever after. The end."

     Marlene's head shop at that, staring at Jenna blankly. "That was the worst story I've ever heard."

     "The point is," said Lily, holding back the urge to kick Jenna, "one day you'll come to the realization that these studies never really mattered. Yes, they are essential for getting a job after graduation, but not worth to get frustrated over. There are more important things in life."

     "Like what?"

     "Like friendship," said Lily softly, casting a knowing smile at Jenna.

      "Who are you and what have you done with the real Lily Evans?" said Marlene, her eyes widened. "Since when do you think that there's anything more important than studying?"

     "Since Christmas," Lily shrugged.

     "Jenna!" Marlene turned on her sharply. "What did you slip in Lily's drink over the holidays!?"

     They all chuckled and Jenna was just about to respond, but someone beat her into it as he cleared his throat behind them, causing the girls to look up.

     "Hello," said Frank Longbottom, smiling goofily around the table, but then fixing his eyes upon Alice. "Ready to go?"

"Sure," Alice nodded with a smile, starting to pack up her stuff.

But Jenna stopped her by saying, "Woah, woah, woah. Not so fast! Where do you think you're taking her?" she raised a suspicious brow at Frank.

"Er — just for a walk," he answered uneasily.

"Ha! Very convincing — ouch!" Jenna groaned as Lily kicked her feet under the table and then turned to Alice and Frank with a smile, saying,