Chapter 129

James and Jenna glanced around at each other again in confusion, trying to see if the other one knew what Dumbledore was talking about.

"The Order of — what?" Jenna questioned as she turned back to face Dumbledore, slightly frowning. How come Dumbledore hadn't mentioned this to her before?

"The Order of the Phoenix," Dumbledore repeated himself. "It's a secret society I've formed a few years ago against Lord Voldemort. Many skilled witches and wizards have come together to try to give a stop to all the horrible things that's been going on; including your parents."

Their eyes widened. "Mum and Dad are in this order?" James asked, looking startled.

"That explains what they were doing whenever they disappeared and wouldn't tell us where they were going," Jenna muttered mostly to herself.

"Indeed, they've been helping the Order." Dumbledore nodded. "Now I would first want to make a few things clear; this shall be kept a secret. And second, there's no force for you to join. You are very young, after all —"

"Of course we'll join!" James said fiercely and without a second of hesitantly. "When can we start!?"

"Relax, my boy," Dumbledore said with a smile, raising a hand to stop him. "There is still time to think everything over. After all, I cannot ask you to join while you're still at school, and only after graduation. But there's also something else I wanted to ask of you."

"Yes?" said Jenna.

"We need all the help we can get," he said. "Talk to your friends, those whom you trust with your life. We cannot fight this war alone."

James paused for a second before nodding firmly once more. "You can count us in, Professor."

"As I thought so." Dumbledore smiled.

   But Jenna was too lost in her thoughts to reply. Although, she didn't really have to say anything; Dumbledore had already gotten an answer from her two years ago when he asked her about the mission. Even though it was a completely different matter, it cleared her intentions and showed what she was willing to risk.

"That would be all. Thank you," Dumbledore finally said.

        The two Gryffindors got to their feet to leave, but Dumbledore stopped them when he said, "Oh, and Mr. Potter... I know you must be thinking about sneaking out of the castle to see Miss Evans tonight."

James's eyes widened, shocked at how simply the old man had read his mind. "How — no — I —"

"The passageway to Hogsmeade behind the mirror on the fourth floor will be unguarded tonight. I'm sure Miss Evans would need someone for comfort," he said with a knowing smile. "Good luck."

James nodded unsurely and made his way over the office's door, but Jenna didn't follow him.

"Could you wait for me downstairs?" she told her brother. "I'll be there in a minute. I need to talk to Professor Dumbledore."

James glanced between her and the headmaster for a moment before nodding and leaving the office, closing the door behind him.

"Yes, Miss Potter?" Dumbledore questioned.

"Why didn't you tell me anything about the Order before, sir?" she asked.

"Because what I've asked you is highly confidential, even for the Order. They won't be knowing about your mission either," Dumbledore explained. "We can't risk your exposure, because it would cost you your life."

"Is that why you didn't even want me to tell my parents or brother about it?"

Dumbledore nodded again. "Precisely."

***

When James and Jenna returned to the common room, they saw that their friends were still sitting there. The moment they saw the two, they abruptly got to their feet and got toward them.

"Well?" Sirius questioned apprehensively. "What's happened to Lily?"

"We need to talk," said James, ignoring the question. "All of us."

James and Jenna had talked it through all the way back to their common room, deciding that they could trust all their friends with this.

"About what?" Remus asked, frowning with worry in his eyes. "What is it?"

"Not here," said Jenna. "Let's get to your dorm. We'll explain everything there."

They all sent each other questioning glances, but followed the twins up the boys' dormitory either way.

      When they closed the door, they waited for James to set all the protective enchantments around the room so no one could hear them from outside.

"Well? What is it? You're killing us here!" said Marlene impatiently and Alice nodded in agreement.

"Lily's parents were murdered last night," James finally said, knowing that the easiest way to get through with it was to be quick about it.

Marlene gasped and Alice clapped a hand over he mouth. Peter shuddered as Remus and Sirius stared at James in disbelief.

"The Death Eaters had attacked a Muggle festival and her parents were killed there — intentionally or not, we don't know," Jenna explained, "but all we know is that... We have to do something. We have to fight back."

"H-how?" Marlene asked with widened eyes as Alice looked away, silently crying.

"Dumbledore told us about a secret society that fights against — against —" James struggled to say, until he finally blurted out, "against Voldemort."

Peter squeaked at the mention of the name and Marlene winced, meanwhile Sirius and Remus only frowned, holding themselves back from shuddering.

"He asked us to tell the people we fully trusted about it to see if you wanted to join or not," said James. "And we trust all of you guys with our lives."

"B-but this is You-Know-Who we're talking about!" said Marlene, her lips slightly trembling. "What can a bunch of eighteen-year-olds do?"

"You're right," Jenna started firmly, "there's not much we can do. In fact, we have only two options; either stand back and watch the people we love die one by one... or fight for what's right, even though it seems hopeless. Lily's parents were only a first... who knows who's gonna be their next victim. It is time for all of us to pick a side. And I know where I stand. You should too."

A deadly silence reigned the room as everyone looked around at one another. But Sirius was first to break the silence as he took a step forward.

"I'm in."

James gave the boy a half smile, going toward Sirius to bring him in a quick hug and to pat him on the back.

"Moony?" James asked when he pulled away, looking at his friend.

"I'm in too," Remus said after a short pause.

"Me too," all head turned on Marlene as she took a step forward as well. "For Lily."

Alice nodded, wiping away her tears as she came forward. "For our loved ones."

By that, they all turned to face Peter, who had been quiet throughout the whole time, still slightly shaking in fear.

"And you, Wormtail?" James asked him with a small smile.

Peter looked around the room for long seconds until he finally nodded weakly, saying, "I-I'm in."