Chapter 194

Jenna was pacing around her house. She had been waiting for Sirius for the last hour, but he still hadn't returned. Every once in a while she would step toward the window to look out through the rain, yet there was no sign of him.

But at last, she heard a knock at her door after an hour of waiting. So she ran toward the door with her wand in her hand, opening it quickly.

"Sirius, where have you b —!?" Jenna was trying to say, but she came to a halt when she realized that it wasn't Sirius who was at the door.

It was Remus.

She hadn't seen him since the night of her birthday, seven months ago, when they had gotten into a fight. Although he was still one of the few people who knew about Jenna's mission and knew that she was innocent.

"Remus?" Jenna blinked up at him, caught off guard to see him there, looking so miserable with his eyes red, as if he'd been crying. "Are you okay?"

"You — you haven't heard?" Remus asked breathlessly, the tears rolling down his eyes.

Jenna went pale at those words. "What's wrong? What happened!?"

Remus remained quiet. He didn't know what to say, or how to say it. It was as if he had forgotten how to speak.

"I'm so sorry, Jenna..." he said, his tears streaming down at this point. "It's Lily and James..."

The words hit Jenna like a bucket of ice. She took a step back, shaking her head in disbelief.

"No..." she muttered under her breath, her eyes fixed on Remus. "No... that's not true... no..."

"I'm sorry..." Remus whispered. He tried to reach out for her, to try to comfort her, but Jenna jerked her arm away from him.

Her eyes were wide in horror and she couldn't get herself to blink as she breathed rapidly, as if the air couldn't reach her lungs any longer.

So with her wand in her hand, Jenna ran out of the house without thinking. Remus yelled after her, but there was no stopping her. She just Disapparated, appearing moments later in Godric's Hollow.

And there, she suddenly saw Sirius standing underneath the pouring rain, his eyes fixed on the sky as if he was watching something.

Sirius spotted Jenna from afar, his face soaked with tears. But before either of them could say anything to the other, Jenna's eyes fell upon the house in the distance, crumbled and almost destroyed.

"Jenna! Jenna wait!" Sirius tried to hold her back by wrapping his arms around her from behind, but she was fighting to free herself, as if her life depended on it.

"LET GO OF ME!" Jenna screamed, finally breaking free from Sirius's grasp and so she made a run toward the ruined house.

There was a roaring in her ears. She could practically hear her own heartbeat as she stepped inside. But then she clapped a hand to her mouth when she spotted a figure laying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling motionlessly.

"No... James... no..." she whispered distantly, dropping herself down next to him. "No..."

Her tears finally streamed down her face as she grabbed onto his shirt's collar, trying to shake him awake.

"P-please... wake up... come on, J.P..." she begged him through her sobs, feeling a pain in her chest that she'd never felt before. "Please..."

She laid down beside her brother, crying as she placed her head on his chest, begging him to wake up hopelessly.

But then her head shot up toward the door upstairs. Stumbling as she tried to get up, Jenna ran upstairs, only to let out a scream when she saw Lily's body, laying motionlessly on the floor.

Jenna placed a hand on her fast beating heart, fighting for air. She wanted the pain to stop. She wished that someone would just rip out her heart, if that's what it took for her to stop feeling.

Jenna's knees gave in and she fell to the ground, screaming her lungs out in pain, her eyes burning from all the tears. She didn't know for how long she'd been sitting there, but she was snapped back to reality when she felt arms around her, trying to get her to stand up.

"C'mon, Jenny... we need to get going..." Sirius was whispering in her ear, "the Muggles and the Order are both coming... they can't see you here..."

"I-I can't..." Jenna shook her head, sobbing. "Make it stop... please make it stop... I-I can't take it anymore... it h-hurts... please..."

Although as she closed her eyes again, Sirius pushed her up at last by her arm, dragging her out of the room. But the moment they passed James's body again, Jenna nearly dropped down to her feet as she cried and screamed in pain.

This time Sirius had to drag her away with more difficulty as she had tried to yank onto her brother again.

Sirius was trying his best not to look back down at him as he tried to drag Jenna out of the house. He wasn't sure if he could bear to look back at James's face again, knowing that he was never going to wake up anymore. Knowing that he was gone forever.

"LET ME GO!" Jenna shrieked out as Sirius dragged her out of the house and under the pouring rain. "I-I need to get back to him! He n-needs me! James needs me!"

"Jenna, stop!" Sirius tried to yell at her to get her to stop struggling. "You need to leave! Now! Get yourself to safety before the Order or the Aurors arrive! They still think you're a Death Eater!"

"I DON'T CARE!"

"Well, I do!" Sirius shouted back, his throat burning and his eyes red. "I care! Promise me that you'll go back home. I can't look after you for a few hours. There's — there's something I need to do."

Jenna's eyes snapped up at those words. "What?"

"I'll explain everything later. I promise," said Sirius, placing a strand of her wet hair behind her ear. "Just go home and stay there until I come back for you. It won't take long."

"No! No!" Jenna shook her head furiously at him. It was incomprehensible that which drops on her face were tears and which raindrops. "Y-you can't leave me like this!"

"I'll be back soon, Jenny." Sirius then placed his hands on either side of her face, looking deep into her eyes with his grey ones. "I promise."

"P-please — please don't leave me... i-it's too much... I c-can't take it..." Jenna sobbed even harder, shaking her head. "P-please..."

But Sirius said nothing and only leaned in, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"I love you," he whispered before pulling away from her.

"Sirius! No! NO!" Jenna yelled after him, but he was already gone as he Disapparated.

She dropped to her knees in the middle of the street and under the pouring rain, grasping her stomach which was in deep pain as she cried and screamed, punching the ground with her fist in a moment of despair, causing it to start bleeding.

But with each passing moment, the ache in her body and her pain grew stronger and stronger. And soon, before she could tell what was happening, Jenna dropped to the ground, her eyes closing as the world went dark to her sight.