Chapter 86

Sirius and Jenna abruptly jerked apart from each other, staring at James in horror as he was breathing furiously, looking between them.

      "This all could've been avoided if we had just gone straight for plan B," Sirius whispered to Jenna, his eyes fixed on James.

       "Oh, shut up," Jenna shook her head, glancing at her brother who looked as if he was going to burst into flames.

        "You two — you —!" He was trying to make out the words, that the door opened once again, Lily, Marlene, Alice, Remus, and Peter walking in.

      "What's going on in there?" They heard a few second year boys whisper to each other, trying to take a peek inside the room.

       "Curiosity killed the cat, you nosy little gits," said Marlene and in a quick motion, she slammed the door shut in their faces.

       "You two — WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?" James bellowed and Remus quickly went forward, trying to calm him down even though he had no idea what was happening himself.

       "What's going on?" Peter said weakly, looking nervously between James and Sirius.

      "Looks like he found out," said Alice anxiously.

     "Awesome," Marlene smirked, looking around the room with amusement.

       "Prongs, I need you to calm down —" Sirius was trying to say, but James wasn't having it.

       "Oh, you want me to calm down, do you?" he said in mock-sweetness before frowning again. "I had one rule!"

      "Come now, Prongs," Sirius started, grinning, "you must know me by now. You know I'm not big on following rules —"

       "—I'LL KILL YOU!" he shouted and leaped forward, but Remus and Jenna held him back.

       "Will you just listen to us!?" said Jenna angrily, letting him go as he seemed to have stopped fighting to break free. "It wasn't what it looked like!"

      "So it wasn't my sister and best friend snogging?"

      "They what?" Remus muttered in a hollow voice, letting go of James.

       "That's right!" said James, glaring between the two.

      "James, it wasn't a one time thing," Jenna tried to reason, but that only seemed to anger him more.

       "Wasn't a one time thing?" he repeated furiously. "Great! So you've been going around snogging for the past ten years, have you!?"

       "Stop exaggerating!"

      "How hard was it to keep five inches away from her, Padfoot!?" yelled James, turning sharply on Sirius.

       "Pretty hard, considering she's my girlfriend!" Sirius retorted loudly.

      A deadly silence fell across the room at those words as everyone stared between the two boys.

      "Wait," said James, blinking a few times. "You guys are — are you like — dating?" he asked and the two nodded slightly. "So you're not just — you know?"

      "No, we're not just-you-know," said Jenna, chuckling. "And we haven't even done the just-you-know."

      "Oh," James let out the breathe he wasn't aware of holding, pursing his lips together.

      "That's it?" said Marlene, sounding disappointed. "Damn, I was actually hoping for more drama."

      Lily gave her a look, shaking her head in disbelief.

      "Then..." James started, looking puzzled. "Then why didn't you just say so?"

       "We were trying to!" said Sirius. "But you just kept screaming at us."

        "No, I don't mean now," he shook his head, "I mean, why didn't you tell me before?"

      "We were afraid of getting the same reaction we got now," said Jenna earnestly.

      James paced around the room with a frown before sitting down at the edge of his bed. "For how long?"

      "Around two months," said Sirius, shrugging. "Hang on — is that why you never wanted me around her? Because you were afraid I would just want to fool around with her, and nothing more?"

       "Honestly, yeah," said James, laughing nervously and rubbing the back of his neck before turning to face Jenna, "I'm sorry — for overreacting."

       "What did you say?" said Jenna amusingly, her eyes widening. "Is the James Potter actually apologizing? Woah, the world must really be coming to an end."

      He rolled his eyes before facing Sirius. "I owe you an apology too."

      "Go ahead then," said Sirius with a grin, folding his arms.

       "No, that was it," said James. "That was the apology. I'm not gonna do more."

      "Fine, I'll take it," Sirius shook a hand reassuringly, saying, "apology accepted."

      "Can't believe we actually managed to keep it a secret for two whole months," said Jenna, leaning against the wall nearby.

      "Well, at least the worst part is over." Sirius chuckled lightly, receiving a look from James.

"Who else knew?" he asked.

"Marlene, Alice, and Lily," Jenna answered.

"Speaking of Lily," said Alice, looking around in confusion. "Where did she go?"

By those words, everyone paid attention and looked around the room, realizing that the red-haired girl was suddenly missing.

"Wait," said Jenna, frowning. "Where's Remus?"