Chapter 140

At the same time, miles away, James and Sirius rode the motorbike at full speed as they laughed, oblivious to what was happening at that moment back home.

       But then, the two boys started to hear sirens belonging to a Muggle police car, chasing after them and asking them to pull aside.

        "Uh oh." Sirius grinned, not slowing down. "I sense trouble... what do you say to that, Prongs?"

         James smirked. "I say it wouldn't have been fun without it, Padfoot."

         And so with one approving nod at one another, Sirius went even faster, taking a sharp corner into the darkness, causing the police car to almost crash as they tried to catch up with them.

       But they both cursed when they realized they had come to a dead end and stopped the motorcycle sharply as they neared a brick wall, the police car stopping when they reached them.

          "Get off the bike!" one of the policemen bellowed as him and his partner got off the car.

      Still smirking, James and Sirius did as they were told.

      "No helmets!" the police yelled, pointing from one uncovered head to the other. "Exceeding the speed limit by – by a considerable amount!" He seemed to be at loss for words at the unbelievable speed, which was supposed to be impossible. "Failing to stop for the police!"

      "We'd have loved to stop for a chat," said James, "only we were trying —"

       "Don't get smart – you two are in a heap of trouble!" the other one snarled. "Names!"

        "Names?" Sirius repeated, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Er – well, let's see. There's Wilberforce... Bathsheba... Elvendork..."

         "And what's nice about that one is, you can use it for a boy or a girl," said James with a wink, but the policemen only glared harder at them.

        "Oh, our names, did you mean?" Sirius asked, causing them to go red from anger. "You should've said! This here is James Potter, and I'm Sirius Black!"

        "Things'll be seriously black for you in a minute, you cheeky little —"

         But Sirius and James were no longer listening as something caught their attention; from above them, they suddenly noticed something flying across the sky.

        In a quick motion, the two boys dug into their pockets and took out their wands, looking at the dark sky, alerted.

        "Drumsticks?" the thinner policeman jeered. "Right pair of jokers, aren't you? Right, we're arresting you on a charge of —"

        But he was cut off the moment the two Death Eaters on broomsticks shot down with their wands raised. But before they could have the chance to do anything, James and Sirius shouted at the same time, "STUPEFY!"

       One of the Death Eaters managed to block the spell, but the other one was knocked off his broom.

       The policemen yelped and dropped themselves down on the ground, covering their heads as they heard crashed from above and saw jets of lights.

        "PROTEGO!" James yelled as a red jet of light was sent his direction, hitting the Death Eater back right in the face, causing him to fall and get slammed on the police-car's roof.

         After a few seconds of utter silence, James and Sirius put their wands back in their pockets. They gave each other a look, knowing that it was time for them to leave. So they got back on the motorbike and it roared into life again.

         The two policemen mustered all the strength they had within them to look up at the boys from where they still laid on the ground, shook.

       "Thanks very much for not arresting us!" Sirius said sarcastically over the throb of the engine, grinning at them.

        "Yeah, nice meeting you!" said James. "And don't forget: Elvendork! It's unisex!"

       And so with an earth-shattering crash, the motorcycle reared upward and took off into the air, leaving through the darkness of the sky.

        "Dumbledore and Moody did warn us about being chased by Death Eaters," said James, his stomach lurching in worry. "You — you don't think they've gone for the girls too, do you?"

        The words hit Sirius like a bucket of ice. He found himself unable to speak as he thought of Jenna. So without another word, he increased the speed, trying to get to them as fast as possible and just hoping that they were at home, safe and sound.

***

"Well, well... look what we have here!" said the Death Eater in a dark voice, taking dangerous steps toward Jenna and Lily with two others.

        Jenna and Lily had their wands raised, trying to hold a strong and fierce face as the three Death Eaters sniggered darkly, nearing them. They were wearing masks, making them look unrecognizable.

        "If you take another step closer, I'll curse your head off!" Jenna snarled fiercely, holding her wand even higher.

         "Oooh, violent... I like her," said the tallest one of the three.

         "Don't worry, we're not here to hurt you," said the one standing in the middle. "Although I can't promise the same thing for your Mudblood friend."

         Jenna stepped in front of Lily automatically, not even thinking about what she was doing, her heart pounding in her chest.

          "We're here to make an offer," he went on, still walking closer as Lily and Jenna took a step back. "Join the Dark Lord and serve him. And we might consider to spare both of your lives."

         "I'd rather die," Jenna said firmly, holding her hair color from changing in fear.

       "Tsk, tsk..." The Death Eater shook his head. "Blood as pure as yours, Potter... it'd be a waste to spill it trying to defend a filthy Mudblood."

         "STUPEFY!" Jenna yelled in anger as she lost control, but the Death Eater blocked her.

         "I'm going to take that as a no." And with that, the three Death Eaters tried to attack them as Lily and Jenna tried to block them.

        It was three against two, which made them helpless. All they could do was to defend themselves, without any time to attack.

         But just then, they all came to a sudden stop when from above them, they heard an uproar and saw a motorbike flying toward them at full speed.

        The moment it crashed down, without a moment of hesitation, James and Sirius took out their wands and the battle begun.

        They were all blocking the spells, but Lily finally managed to hit one of the Death Eaters, causing him to hurtle backward. Upon this, knowing that they were outnumbered with two against four, the other two Death Eaters Dissaparated.

        A silence fell among the group as they gaped down at the knocked out Death Eater's body, none of them moving. Until Jenna finally walked toward his unconscious body, removing his mask only to reveal Antonin Dolohov.

        Jenna stared down at him with gritted teeth, her hands still shaking as she glared down at him.

       Sirius wanted to go toward her. He wanted to hold her. But he held himself back, feeling guilty for leaving her behind and blaming himself. So he just stood back, watching her from behind.

       But at the exact moment, James dropped his wand and ran toward Lily, bringing her into an embrace. She buried her head in the nape of his neck, sobbing audibly out of fear.

         "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left," James whispered, stroking Lily's red hair as she cried. "I'll never leave you again. I promise."