Chapter 156

There was no day that went by without Mr. and Mrs. Potter asking Sirius and Jenna when their wedding was going to be. But to the answer, without even asking Sirius, Jenna would say that they didn't want to rush things.

Turns out, unlike his expectations, when Sirius had asked the parents for permission, they didn't have a problem with him proposing and were even happy about it.

A few months had passed from Sirius proposing in Christmas, but Jenna had somehow managed to avoid the conversation about their wedding each time. It was now easter break, yet she wouldn't budge.

"Okay, but how about June?" said Sirius as they were getting ready to visit Marlene for her birthday. "The weather is great then for a wedding."

"Maybe." Jenna shrugged carelessly. "Ready to go? We don't want to be late. Lily and James always mock us for being late. Pfft. As if James would ever be early if it weren't for Lily."

"Hey, Jenny?"

"Yeah?" said Jenna, putting on her earrings as she was standing in front of the mirror.

"Is there any reason as to why you always avoid this conversation?"

"What conversation?" Jenna asked obliviously, walking across the room to grab her purse without even looking at Sirius.

"The conversation about our wedding?"

"No, why would I do that?" said Jenna, making her way over the bedroom door. "Okay, let's go."

But Sirius paced forward quickly and stopped in front of her, blocking the doorway, folding his arms, and giving her a knowing look.

"What is it, Jenna?" said Sirius, looking stern. Whenever he called her by her actual name, she knew that he was no longer joking around.

Jenna sighed to herself in defeat, knowing that there was no escaping this time. She had to get through with it once and for all.

"I just don't want to rush into things," she tried to reason. "We've only been engaged for three months. We've still got plenty of time."

"That's not true, and you know it."

"Look, what's even the point of getting married? We live together already and we've done everything that couples do when they're married. What difference would it make?"

"The difference would be for when we want to have babies!" The words left Sirius's mouth before he could stop himself.

"Babies?" Jenna repeated, raising a brow at him before grinning. "Are you telling me that the infamous player Sirius Black is actually thinking of having babies?"

"I — what — no — that's not what I said!"

"Oh, yeah?" Jenna smirked. "And what did you mean?"

"I meant in the future!" Sirius argued. "Don't you want this?"

"I do," Jenna whispered, smiling sadly. "But now's not the time, Sirius. This is the worst time to have kids. We're in the middle of a war, for crying out loud! What if something happens to one of us and the other has to raise the kid alone? Or what if we both die and the child becomes an orphan?"

Sirius fell silent. Whenever he imagined his life, he only pictured a good and happy future. But never did he think about dying.

"Look, we've got plenty of time to do all that if we survive," said Jenna. "But... I just want to wait until all this is over. And it will be over. I know it. The war can't go on forever."

A silence followed these words as Sirius stared down at her, lost for words. But he sighed at last.

"You're right." He smiled. "When this is all over, we'll be a proper family."

***

Once they got to the Mckinnons' house, Lily and James were already there, on time just like always. Remus arrived after a few minutes, although the rest were still missing from the small party.

They were all now sitting around the dinner table, celebrating Marlene's nineteenth birthday.

"Marlene, where's Alice?" Marvin asked, who was back home from Hogwarts for easter break.

"They're... working," said Marlene, sharing an awkward look with the others. The truth was, Alice and Frank were both sent away for Order business. "Why do you ask, Marvin?" Marlene smirked down at him. "Don't tell me you have a crush on Alice?"

"N-no." Marvin briskly shook his head, looking down as his face went red.

"Well, don't worry, Marvin," said Lily kindly as she saw the uncomfortable expression on his face. "I'm sure Alice would be flattered."

Marvin smiled in return, but said nothing.

"But where's Peter?" Jenna asked.

"Says he's got stuff to do. He couldn't make it," Marlene answered.

"Poor boy." Lily sighed sadly. "He's probably too scared to even leave the house, with everything that's going on. I don't blame him."

"Turkey's here!" They heard Mrs. McKinnon sing happily as she walked into the dining room along with her husband, a big dish in her hands.

"Ah, yes." Mr. McKinnon sighed happily, taking his seat around the table. "The best hour of the day is meal time, and that's a fact."

"Well, kids, help yourself," said Mrs. McKinnon, sitting down as well.

"Yeah, and hurry up," said Mr. McKinnon with a grin, "cause here's the first rule of the McKinnon household; eat it quickly or it gets eaten."

They all laughed, helping themselves with the delicious looking food. After they cut the cake, Marvin went upstairs along with his parents as the others went into the living room.

"I hate this." Marlene huffed grumpily, leaning on the couch with Jenna sitting next to her. "Nineteen's gonna suck even more than eighteen, isn't it?"

"Now, why would you say that, Mar?" Lily asked her softly.

"Because I'm the only one alone around here!" Marlene jeered. "It's pathetic!"

"I'm going to try to not take that personally," said Remus cheekily.

"But at least you've got a lot of options!" Marlene retorted. "Sure, I think boys can be cute. I mean, I always thought Sirius was a hot piece of ass, but that's the furthest it goes."

Sirius blinked at her a few times. "I'm... flattered?"

"Well, that's not the point!" Marlene groaned and started rambling on again. "I'm stuck here! All alone! The only time I interact with people is for the Order! And guess what? I'm gonna die alone! And I haven't even had my first kiss yet! And I'm nineteen! No girl would ever want to kiss me!"

"Oh, for God's sake!" Jenna huffed loudly.

And so, having had enough, Jenna suddenly took Marlene's face in her hands and without thinking, she leaned in and kissed her quickly on the lips before smirking. "There. You've had your first kiss."