- 𝟐𝟓

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

     ROSALINE SMILED lightly whilst leading carl over to where the rv was parked. the boy giggled while rhaegar jumped around him, barking in excitement. he knew he was going to be playing games.

     "what'd you say we were going to teach him?" carl queried grabbing the tug-of-war toy wrestling the german shepherd for it.

     rosaline laughed pulling rhaegar off, "to find something that's hidden."

     there was a hidden meaning behind that. she knew that if rhaegar was taught something such as tracking down a target and finding it, there could possibly be prevention of what happened with sophia. by sending him out and looking for it as soon as it happens.

     "that's actually smart," carl nodded an impressed look on his features, "like walkers?"

     "and people." rosa replied, "right little man, help me pick out a good spot and i'll keep rhaegar from seeing."

     "got it." carl scanned any possible spots around the farm to place the toy. finally, his eyes locked onto a log that had the insides withered out. quickly, he ran over to it and stuffed the object inside.

     "we good to go, carl?" rosaline called to him whilst he returned.

     "yeah!" he said grinning at her eagerly.

     "you wanna set him off?" she offered.

     "of course!" the boy practically squealed with excitement.

     "alright come here," she gestured with her hand, whilst pulling out a similar toy that held the same scent, "all you need to do is hold it out to him and say 'find'."

     carl took the toy and stepped towards the large dog, extending his hand so he could sniff it, giving him the simple instruction, "find."

     with that, rhaegar raced off, nose already to the ground whiffing any sign of the scent up. it would be a hard task for him as the smell of food, farm animals, and other people filled the area.

     it proved a good challenge.

     the male had searched around the property for around five to ten minutes before finding the toy wedged inside the log. of course rosaline already had the reward at hand when he trotted back. some dried meat.

     the two took turns rewarding the canine, whilst carl was finding all the spots to hide the toy. it was a good practice, and most of all it was enjoyable for all of them.

     across the field, daryl watched them sharpening his knife. he was spectating their little game. he had been thinking about what he'd said to her and his attitude. the man was deciding if that was really how he wanted to be.