- 𝟖𝟕

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

     ROSALINE WAS nudged awake. daryl informed her that the prisoner they'd left to be guarded escaped and wanted to talk to them. obviously he didn't have any weapons on him.

     rick invited him for a talk downstairs.

     "i checked out your arsenal." jesus stated, "i haven't seen anything like that in a long time. you're well equipped but your provisions are low. very low for the amount of people you have. fifty-four?"

     "more than that." maggie corrected.

     he nodded jerking his chin at the plate of biscuits, "well, i appreciate the cookie. my compliments to the chef."

     "me." rosaline waved happily, feeling great that someone complimented her baking skills. she'd made them for carl whilst judith had her nap. usually, it was carol making them but she was absent.

     jesus noticed the look daryl had just given him, feeling jealous about the interaction between the two, "look, we got off to a bad start. but we're on the same side- the living side. you and rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. i'm from a place a lot like this one."

     "a community?" rosaline asked.

     "yes, part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. i took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble." the man admitted, "i was wrong. you're good people and this is a good place. i think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

     "do you have food?" rick interrogated, twisting his head quizzically.

     he dipped his head, "we've started to raise livestock. we scavenge, we grow. everything from tomatoes to sorghum."

     "tell us why we should believe you."

     "i'll show you. you take a car and we'll make it back home in a day and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer." jesus suggested hopefully.

     maggie stopped them, "wait, you mean you're looking for more settlements? you mean you're already trading with other groups?"

     he grinned, "your world's about to get a whole lot bigger."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

     the next day went by quickly. daryl had managed to do a quick run with aaron before leaving for jesus' community. and found a beautiful ring encrusted with a white encrusted diamond.