- 𝟓𝟑

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

     FINALLY, BETH found the time to wander up to rosaline who was chucking a tennis ball - that daryl had found on a run - off the wall for rhaegar to retrieve it. it seemed like she didn't have the energy to do anything else that day. everyone believed that since beth had gotten her out of a state once, she could do it once again. after all, she sort of knew how the girl felt.

     "rosaline?" the blonde called to her, sitting on the steps with judith in her arms. the girl glanced at her out of the corner of her eye as if telling her to speak, "do you wanna talk about it?"

     "not really," she muttered, bouncing the ball harder, yet she still sat up against beth making sure that if the bell were to bounce off in their direction it wouldn't hit judith.

     the younger girl sighed, "you know, we're going to have to do that soon. you haven't eaten or slept since we've gotten back. you can't just stop taking care of yourself."

     "i know that," she replied shortly.

     "then why don't you come and eat something?" beth queried, bouncing the baby up and down on her lap gently, "or why don't you play with judith?"

     "sure."

     the girl noticed her lack of speech. usually, the girl was more talkative. she had to press more, "we know you cared about daryl and he cared about you."

     she laughed, "i know it was his brother, but he made that decision on a whim. he didn't even look at me as he left. it was that easy for him."

     "it probably wasn't if he didn't want to look at you." beth reassured, "daryl cares about you. we all mean care." she elaborated.

     "well i know that i care about him too." rosaline shrugged.

     beth laughed slightly, "rosaline you're not getting it. neither of you are. maggie said this too. he loves you."

     rosaline stopped bouncing the ball, rhaegar turning around in confusion. finally, rosaline fully gazed at the blonde, "this sounds like all the teasing merle was doing back in the forest, none of you can prove that."

     "didn't you see the way he looked at you? he wouldn't let you ever throw yourself into a dangerous situation unless he knew you could handle it. daryl has never done that before, not to anyone." beth explained, "you know him a lot more than me, but you don't seem to see that."

     "are you serious?" rosaline realized her behavior was spiraling back to the time lori died, she stared beth right in the eyes, "it's the things we love most that destroy us."

     beth stopped to stare at her to register what she said. after a minute, she nodded with a knowing smile, "if you don't believe me go ask everyone around here. axel said he didn't even want to try it with you because daryl would 'beat his ass' apparently."