Chapter 75

Chapter 75: A Fruitless Romance

[]Third Person's POV []

She was but a common girl that lived at the slums, forced to steal what she needed to fill her stomach. From the dark alleys of the town, all she could do was observe the people that passed by the road with their fine clothes, and drool over the desire to possess the same life as they had.

Those were the days that the maid from House Aubetré, Avery, has experienced before she could be employed at the mansion.

Back in the day, she would often have negative thoughts about her own purpose. She frequently questioned the reason why she still existed, every single day. She couldn't even understand why she has been born from the very start.

Thinking it back now, she loathed her parents as well. She detested them for throwing her away without even giving her a name, when they could've just entrusted her to an acquaintance. From that, she easily concluded that her parents didn't know the meaning of the word, conscience.

They didn't matter to her, by now, no matter the reason. Even if, hypothetically, they were still alive, and might cling to her with a bunch of excuses one day, she didn't have the least intention to forgive them for what they did. Her past wasn't something that could be easily erased with a simple apology, after all.

She devoted herself more to the present, rather than the past. And the opportunity that was given to her one time, was the trigger that kept herself alive.

'Avery'

The moment that name was bestowed to her by her savior, the Marquis of Aubetré, she pledged her loyalty to him. She positively thought of this as a new beginning. But reality couldn't bring itself to be of her aid, and bursted out of laughter right at her face, instead.

*Drip*drip*

It was red. Nothing else but red.

She was shaken when she saw what she didn't expect to see. And even now, that scene would repeatedly show up in her dreams.

The rotten smell of the corpse, and the Marquis' bloodied hands that held the sword in his grasp. It left a deep impression on her, to the point that it became a part of her traumatic memories.

Marquis Aubetré, who was praised for being a generous man, different from the other aristocrats, had a hidden face, unrevealed to the public.

His kind figure to the poor would now be seen as nothing but a mask, to Avery's perspective, based from the occurrences that she witnessed during her long stay at the mansion.

She doubted that her loyalty would last, for that could be a mere facade by now, after all of the things that she went through the moment she entered that hellish birdcage.

She couldn't be brazen enough to even consider the chance of escaping from the Marquis' clutch. But not until 'that person' arrived before her eyes...

"Avery..."

His voice would always soften every time he calls out to her. And this pleased the maiden, to the point that she forgets the fact that her name came out from a murderer's careful consideration.

Ignoring the gap between their ranks, the youthful man did what he could to obtain her affection so his feelings wouldn't turn out to be one-sided. His efforts moved or swayed Avery's heart, that this love became something of mutual emotions.

It would've been a rather perfect story material...

If only they avoided the flags that could trigger the upcoming tragedy in their lives.