Chapter 24

Chapter 24: Paid Hard Work♦

Entering the dinning room, the Duke went straight in front of my usual seat and gently put me there.

Thereafter, he kindly wiped my tears with the handkerchief in his pocket.

"Have you calmed down?"

"...Yes.", I briefly answered his question, sniffing.

"It's okay, Sherryl. I don't hate you at all. Giles was just lying to you."

As expected, he was a very caring father despite his cold-looking face. Nonetheless, it's not like he gained my respect just because of that.

After all, I knew that he's just using me as a flee from the reality that he couldn't accept.

When this long act ends, my role shall be fulfilled. And when that time comes, we'll start to carry on on our own.

That's why, I don't feel like making a fool of myself to expect that things might not go the same way as what happened in my past life.

".......Was that a scheme...?"

"Father?"

"No... It's nothing."

After that short conversation, the Duke sat on his usual seat, then we started to have a taste of our meal.

Meanwhile, I pretended like I wasn't anxious for even a bit on the surface as we ate our dinner. Although in actual, I was very concerned about what Wendell whispered a while ago.

I might've responded to him like I hadn't heard it clearly but that wasn't the case at all.

There, I started to suspect if he saw through me until I started to panic in my thoughts, without knowing.

What should I do now? Isn't this happening too early?! I should've plotted things more slowly!

Maybe, I was just overthinking since the Duke might've been talking about the old geezer, but there was no guarantee that he wouldn't have thought that it was me instead.

Were several weeks not enough to take action without letting his suspicion rise, I wonder? At any rate, this will be definitely bad if my guess is right.

My money!! What will happen to my goddamn money?!!!

That time, that was the only thing that I focused my thoughts onto.

Months have passed ever since that incident until the year thoroughly ended.

The snow still falls a lot, huh... Although, it's already January. I thought while staring at the outside, through the nearby window.

"You sure like snow that you could gaze at it almost everyday.", the red-haired woman said as she read the book that she recently purchased.

"And Duchess Fleurette also does read several books with smut content as a daily occurrence.", I said, smirking.

"Well, whatever.", she replied.

The Duchess and I became a lot more closer, just like those good old days.

And because of that, me, visiting her quarters, became a recent thing to happen.

Then as for those that came to have the awareness that I became in good terms with Fleurette, they became wary of their own actions in order to not offend me. Because if they do, it would be the same as provoking the cunning Duchess. And when that happens, a cruel punishment will greet their day.