Chapter 94

Chapter 94: A Pipe Dream

"Apparently, you've caused quite a commotion back at the Imperial Palace."

Right. If the Emperor managed to hear about the disturbance that I've created, it's not rather uncommon that even the Duke would get wind of the incident.

From his way of speech, it looks like I'm going to get scolded again due to my impertinence. I've naturally expected a beating to come, as well. Though, I still hoped that things would end as soon as possible, since I didn't really have the energy to continue hanging out with the Duke.

Not to mention, it irks me a lot to think that his prior concern was directed toward my rudeness and not my well-being, even after knowing that I fainted for certain reasons.

"It is just as your grace have heard. I deeply apologize for causing trouble and for tainting the Shevarias' family name in this opportunity."

"I promise to be more care-"

*WHACK!!!*

It all seemed to happen in just an instant. Again, the Duke slapped my face with a straightforward intent, using his own hand. This was the second time he vented his anger to me this way, in the present timeline.

His rage toward me was written all over his face. His expression told me vaguely about a portion of his current thoughts.

In response to that sight reflected into my eyes, I uttered as though I wasn't the type of person to read the surrounding atmosphere before I could make an action in a peculiar situation.

"Even at a time like this, it seems like you still dwell into the past just by seeing my appearance."

"......I suppose, you know now. Nevertheless, shouldn't you understand your standing here more specifically, if so?"

"You keep blaming me for being so brazen to take her place, even when you were the one who brought me here in the first place?", I yelled at a volume that was kept in moderation.

"I know that you have the upper authority here, but pushing all of the blame of this happening to me is getting too overboard, I must say! Don't you have any shame? You scum!!"

The Duke's eyes narrowed further while he furrowed his brows as soon as my complaint reached his ears.

"You-!!", he shouted, shortly raising his right arm, just like earlier.

"What? You're going to hit me again?! Go on! Just do it and keep averting your eyes from the truth!!"

"You keep bragging like that but you must be thinking that I won't do it at all, don't you?! Did you already forget what I told you last time?!"

To think about it more carefully, this has undoubtedly or definitely become a serious quarrel of a kind right here. I must've let loose of my emotions again just like that one time where I cut my ties with the Shevaria Family, at the dining room.

But now that I've come this far, I couldn't help but keep going on a rampage, also because of how enraging the Duke's responses were, ever since the moment that this conflict started.

"Like the hell I'd remember the advice of a person as infuriating as you? Why don't you just hit me right away, huh?! Or perhaps, were those all talk?!!"

"That's not true-!!", he protested.

"Then prove it!! Prove it right now!!! All you can do is to resort that I'm the bad guy here after all! Just because of you and your stupid pride!!!"

"Or else, is it that? Are you hesitating to beat the hell out of this face?! Hah! Do you expect me to praise you for being such a caring and considerate father to your oh so precious daughter?!"

With the Duke's head slightly facing down the floor, I saw him grit his teeth harder after perceiving my last sentence. In that state, he slowly clenched both of his fists as he gradually set down the hand that he raised in preparation of hitting me for the second time, today.

I didn't know what occurred to his mind that he ended up withdrawing from what he was about to do to me.

"It's plainly... too unfair.", he began contemplating and confessing of his fantasies; about the kinds of occurrences which were to be the most ideal to his perspective.

"If that girl was still alive, she would've grown as tall as your height by now. With her usual innocent smile, she would've joined parties and social events at the moment with so many friends, and discuss about a lot of amusing subjects with them."

"Since she's twelve, she might be quite rebelling to my guidance sometimes, but that's okay too. That would've been fine, and it could've been an award that's more than what I deserved to have."

With a shivering voice of a kind accompanied by his body that trembled to endure shedding his tears in front of my eyes, in spite of all the pain that he suffered from remembering the past, he continued to speak.

"But then, she's not here anymore. She's never been given of a chance to reach her adulthood. She's never been given of a chance to spend more blissful moments with her friends and her family."

"Those small, warm hands of hers... will no longer reach my grasp."

He swiftly placed his hands on top of either of my shoulders and tightened his grip, shaking me forcedly.

"Hey, tell me... Why did she need to die...? Of all people, why......? Why?!"

"Why did it need to be Sherryl?!!"

The way the Duke grabbed me hurt as painful as his slapping. No- to be frank, it hurt more.

This was the first time I saw the Duke lose his composure in that sort of manner. And so, it was when I heard a part of his inner thoughts, even though it concerned no one else but my twin sister.

I was still displeased because things ended up to be revolving around Sherryl again, but... Regardless of that, it was a matter of truth that father also had his issues. He was just another pitiful person like me, suffering from his lingering attachments to the past.

Yet that could only be seen as nothing more than an excuse, in my personal opinion. It's as if the reason that he provided to me that moment could be conveniently used in order to obtain my forgiveness through sympathy.

And I despised that kind of cheap bullsh*t of a trick.

I seriously wondered what kind of response did he expect from me that time. But before doing any rasher movements, I chose to push him away and remain silent, as I left the setting at a slow pace.

Then, before I could completely shut off the door and leave, I lastly looked back and glanced at the Duke's unstable-looking profile with a very tiny bit of concern.

We've set aside the matter about the uproar that I've created at the Imperial Palace temporarily. And eventually sealed what we've done, heard, and witnessed in that room, that day.