Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Treachery♦

Betrayal. That is something that is possible to happen between people's relationships.

For example, there was once a loyal dog to its owner. But even if that was the case, one cannot guarantee whether that dog would bite you or not. And with such treachery, one would regret of how he or she managed to trust that being.

Giles Tyler.

He was a loyal dog that served the master of Shevaria and fulfilled his duties well as the head butler for over thirty-five years or so, at the mansion.

When I first observed his attitude, I thought he was a person that has a strong sense of justice and would side with whom was right by the way he acted before me.

But in the end.......

"It's not me, father!! I'm not the one behind this!!!", I shouted to the Duke that laid his suspicion upon me, using the servants' false accusation as a basis.

That time, we had another quarrel where I was framed to be the culprit of what happened.

And as for me, who didn't have any evidence to prove that I wasn't behind the incident, I asked for Giles' help, knowing that he was a witness of the occurrence. And knowing that he was an upright person of a kind.

"Butler Giles was also there!! And he can prove it!!!"

"Is that the truth, Giles?", the Duke asked as we all shifted our gazes to the Butler.

Thereafter, Giles closed his eyes and replied,

"I will only retail what I saw.", he said, making me have high expectations for him.

Nevertheless, the result that I expected for...

Wasn't fulfilled.

"The one that started off the ruckus was the young lady, from the very beginning."

Hearing what the old man on his usual neat, black uniform said, my eyes widened out of shock while I looked at him.

I was very astonished to think that I wasted my time, anticipating that the Butler would do the rightful thing.

It might've been my fault for trusting him too much, but even still...

I couldn't help but hate him from what he just did.

"Do you even have any shame.....?", I muttered then added,

"How dare you...!!", I yelled while I menaced at his straight face.

Giles was a person that obtained Wendell's trust through his long accompaniment with him.

The great confidence that the master would believe what he says must've been the reason why he could make such straight face that couldn't get shaken for even a bit, that time.

And that might've also been the reason why he had the guts to smug at me.

However, at present, the strong bond between the two could slowly crumble using my current connection with the Duke.

Because I was adopted to be his 'beloved daughter's ' replacement.

The fact that I played Sherryl's role, where I was someone that was very identical to her as well, brought me a certain amount of assurance that I was at an advantage.

In short, Wendell is a person that is weak to Sherryl. And even his trust toward Giles will never be able to beat the influence of the child that he favors the most.