Chapter 47

Chapter 47: A Cinderella-like Development

"...Uwahh..........."

After opening the entrance to my room, the very first scene that I witnessed was nothing else but a mess.

My clothes were trampled on the floor. Some were tattered and the rest were dirtied with shoe tracks which had a familiar design.

I went near one of the clothes and observed the traces left on it while crouching.

"No matter how I look at it, these..."

.....Are from the shoes that handmaidens use.

"...Milady."

Aiden seemed sympathetic while he murmured that word. Without even looking at him, I could imagine what kind of face he was wearing based from his voice earlier.

I stood, then, and silently watched the sight before my eyes.

Who am I? Cinderella?? I thought, taking lightly of the situation.

However, I couldn't believe that the servants would do something like as ridiculous as this.

I mean, what are they? Six?

It's true that this might've been something that could make me cry. But only if I was really a twelve-year-old girl right now.

What I see this moment is no other than a cheap trick. Yet, I think I should praise them for being so daring to assemble themselves as a group just to do something this trivial.

I wish I could play along with them by giving them a reaction that they anticipated for, but...

I'm afraid, I'll need to fix this problem right away. I don't have time to play with extra-characters like them that wants to upgrade themselves into antagonists by drawing my attention.

Honestly, this is just too cliché. I sighed.

If they're going to do something cruel to me, then they should make it into something of a big deal!

Though this might be cocky of me to say, they should do something greater than a scene like this! This makes me disappointed since I've been preparing for a while now with my dearest sword and yet look!

I sighed for the second time.

Afterwards, I heard footsteps drawing near Aiden and my direction, coming from the hallway. We both noticed this and swiftly shifted our gazes to where it came from.

"Welcome back, Lady Melissa."

It was Viola, greeting me with respect for my arrival.

'Lady', huh.........

I stared at her with doubtful eyes. Although I might've thought of Viola to be a bit different from the other attendants, that didn't clear my suspicions toward her. Who knows if she was actually with those that made a mess in my room during my absence.

"It seems like a bunch of rats have intruded inside my room.", I said with a fake smile, then continued.

"I will go somewhere for a while. Make sure to tidy this up before I return.", I ordered.

Thereafter, I moved my feet and had Aiden follow me through an eye contact.

"I understand. But, where to-?", asked Viola.

"I am going to have an audience with the master."

"Is that so."

As I crossed paths with Viola, I indifferently kept walking on and pondered.

Hmm... No reaction, I see.......

"Lady Melissa.......", Aiden whispered behind me.

"It's good to hear that you've gotten over the mistake whenever you call me."

"....."

I stopped walking for a moment and turned back to Aiden.

I appreciated it that he worried about me. But, there was no need for him to keep acting that way since I wasn't affected that much in this incident. Somehow, I'm used to it too, after all.

Nevertheless, telling him words like 'I'm fine.' would only make him think that I'm holding my emotions back because he was present.

As such, I petted Aiden's head.

Doing that kind of action toward him might've become a habit of some sort of mine. Perhaps, I enjoyed playing the role of his elder sister.

"Thank you.", I gently uttered, smiling.

And amid that, I wondered.

If only everyone was as gentle as you, Aiden.

Soon after, I found myself standing before the door where the Duke dwelled at present.

It was twilight. Normally, the Duke and I would've been having our afternoon tea party by now. However, those moments will only linger in my memories.

Nonetheless, I don't regret the way that it has become like this. Because there was no happier ending other than the route that I proceeded currently.

I was aware of that fact quite well. Anybody could guess why too easily if they were to peek at my experiences with the Shevarias in my past life.

I firstly knocked the door twice before I could say a word.

"This is Melissa. May I have the permission to enter?", I loudly stated.

".....Come in.", a faint voice of a man came out from the study.

Thereafter, without reserving myself, I intruded the place beyond the door.

"It has been a long time, Duke. I apologize for visiting so suddenly.", I greeted Wendell while I knelt in front of him. Meanwhile, Aiden bowed to pay his respects.

Wendell, then, stopped moving his hand that tended the paperwork.

I took glimpse of the Duke, emptily looking at me. I couldn't meet his gaze directly.

As I thought, I was still afraid of the way he looked at me, even after the long experience of being seen like that in my previous life.

"Enough with the formalities. What might be your business?"

"Things have not gone to what was agreed."

".......You have received the same treatment as a noble. Was that perhaps not enough?"

What is he implying? I thought, feeling offended by the Duke's words.

I smiled falsely as I did my utmost to calm myself down internally.

"Please get rid of those servants."

The Duke made a conflicted expression after hearing what I said.

"What is this about?", he asked.

"After I took a short walk outside, when I came back to my room, my clothes were messed with."