Chapter 91; Beginning of Season 3

Chapter 91: A Private Audience

[]Melissa's Perspective []

What am I? Who am I? Why am I here?

Such questions consecutively appeared within the range of my thoughts, in an instant. And just when I was brought back to reality, a silly statement immediately reached my ears.

"Excuse me? Are you still there? I know, I'm too stunning for your eyes to take, but don't swoon over me again, okay?"

The narcissism coated in his words made me remember how utterly annoying our conversation has become, till now. Now that I've reached this point, the exhaustion from keeping the other person's company made me feel homesick. To be honest, it was a new experience to assume that time has been ticking slower than usual; to the point that a single minute would seem so similar to an hour.

It's true that things had become rather troublesome, and I also mean that in a way that states my past attachments with the individual that I'm spending my time with right now. After all, that peculiar person was-

Noah Wilde Zeid Asquith, in the flesh.

That's right. He's that one person that I deeply fell in love with in my previous life. As well as the person... who was responsible for my death in the guillotine.

During my past behaviors, I've made it clear to myself that I'd avoid seeing either him or Natasha for the moment out of fear, since I could tell that my heart wouldn't take it when the moment comes. But, look at what we have here!

Truly splendid!

Of course, I meant that as the opposite.

Even though I had expected enough that fate would bring us together for the sake of my despair, I assumed still that the moment we meet would be in the midst of the next event that would be officially hosted by the Imperial Family. No matter the shock that I took from the twists of occurrences, it didn't change the fact that I'd have the need to keep visiting him, from here on.

Why, you ask? Because, I've been pressured by a certain someone that possesses the highest standing in this whole Empire. To be more precise, rather than being pressured, what I received was a threat, though.

Based from the hint that I gave from my statement up there, it'd be doubtful that not a single person would understand...

That the someone that I mentioned was no other than, His Majesty, the current Emperor, himself.

Now, why did I even get involved in this mess, in the first place? Let's start from the very root of these occurrences, shall we?

All of this started when I was suddenly summoned by Duke Wendell to the study, in the middle of his work. Since the departure of my stepmother (the previous Duchess of Shevaria) had just been of a recent affair around that day, I kept myself tame, avoiding myself from causing another scene with my selfishness whenever the Duke's figure reaches my sight.

I didn't have the mood to create another conflict between the Duke and I when something tragic just occurred to my perspective, as of late. Therefore, I came empty, being obedient rather than making things chaotic, only to hurt myself again.

While hoping that I'd be facing the Duke the same way from now on, I patiently exchanged conversations with him regardless of my personal issues, deep inside.

"I'd like you to make a private audience with His Majesty, the Emperor."

At first, I was attacked by surprise by his speech. I almost thought that I had been hearing things when I heard his phrase. But more than anything else, a side of me became panicky.