Chapter 92

Chapter 92: A Bottomless Swamp

*Creak--*

Slowly but surely, the door was being shut by the royal guards that stood by the entrance, separating the Emperor and I from contact with the people from the outside.

I was a little worried about what the two of us would end up discussing about, but I swallowed my nervousness to avoid possible accidents.

I quickly paid my greetings before I could be misunderstood as an ill-mannered person within the Emperor's eyes.

"Melissa Ernel von Shevaria of the Shevaria Dukedom greets the monarch of the Empire.", I bowed, courteously.

"You've made me wait. Have a seat.", the man replied, hinting that I should take a seat across him, through the movement of his eyes.

I kindly took his offer with a spoken gratitude and sat on the sofa, respectively. There, the Emperor served me tea with care, meanwhile on his cup was coffee. Like that, we leisurely began our conversation will small chats that didn't seem to have any connection with the main topic, that yet.

"Now that I've seen you more properly, you really are identical to Sherryl, aren't you?"

"If not, I guess I wouldn't have been adopted into our esteemed household, in the first place."

"Nevertheless, to think that someone with the same face as that peculiar young lady was this nearby. We certainly never know the encounters predetermined in life."

Laughing out such words, he took a sip of his drink while those jeweled blue eyes of his stared at my direction. From the way he mentioned about this issue the first thing of our conversation, it seems like he expects for an amusing reaction coming out of my face.

I made a fake smile with a sense of nostalgia, for it has been a while since the last time that I wore this mask at the sight of the other aristocrats.

"That's true.", I briefly replied, feigning ignorance at the tea set that was prepared for my sake.

The Emperor placed down his cup and questioned not long after;

"Are you not going to drink? Is the tea perhaps not to your liking?"

"I just thought that it's better to be careful, Your Majesty."

Silence befell us for a second or two. Until...

"Pfft—HAHAHAHAHA!!"

The monarch burst out of laughter. From that, I saw through his personality, vaguely.

Everyone keeps a different side with them, apart from their image in the surface. Of course, the Emperor isn't an exception.

Who would know whether the Emperor, himself, had a resentment toward me, due to the behavior that I've displayed to him as I rejected his invitations countlessly in social events that he's hosted, as well as because of my background as a commoner back in the day?

There, the atmosphere started to change into something more tense, as if the main topic would be revealed at that moment.

"Let me be frank."

"It is a matter of truth that I think of yourself as a filth in this society. To be exact, I didn't quite like the part that you've been officially adopted by a person of royal blood."

"That is, if I were to mention my opinion about the young lady in the past.", he solidly clarified.

I processed his words before I could respond to his sentence half-heartedly.