Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Crocodile Tears♦

[]Third Person's POV []

Thirty minutes has passed after it became seven o'clock in the evening.

The main dish for dinner was already served on the dining table.

Without even having a taste of the food, you could tell that it would have a very delightful flavor.

Duke Wendell, who sat at his usual seat, was satisfied that he could have a taste of the meal with his daughter.

Although there was that unpredictable response from that child during this day's tea party, he simply let this pass because he doted on her.

That enough could prove how much of an oh so loving father he was to his precious children. And so it was for his only son, Lucian.

Wendell thoroughly accepted Lucian as his first-born son, truthfully. However, he was distant to that child, knowing that he was created unintentionally from the Duchess' womb. Or rather, he was born from a woman that Wendell resented.

Political marriages were a common thing among the noble society. And so it was between Fleurette and Wendell back in the days.

Wendell, whose the past Emperor's child that couldn't inherit the blue irises that signifies the rightful heir, was granted of the Shevaria Territory that was a part of the Kingdom that he received through his contribution at the battlefield.

It was the past Emperor's will that time to wed him off to Marquess Aubetré's daughter, Fleurette.

Wendell didn't care about such thing that much. And thus, they were successfully engaged until they get married.

He didn't have any feelings for Fleurette, but it wasn't the case for the woman.

Fleurette has desired for his love that it became a pure obsession of hers to make him look at her. And with that, she carefully planned to drug Wendell in one night and took advantage of him to make her bear the current Lucian in her womb.

Wendell started to loathe her starting from that point. And that was the fact that affected the way he treated his son.

Nonetheless, he wanted to accept Lucian as his child no matter what, knowing that he wasn't at fault in that matter.

*knock, knock* The door made a sound, due to the person that knocked it from the other side.

"You may come in.", the Duke said, expecting that the person behind the door was her daughter.

And because of his high expectations, his usual cold demeanor looked disappointed once he saw Butler Giles come in instead of Sherryl (Melissa).

"Where is Sherryl? I thought I instructed you to call her here for dinner."

"T-That is....."

While the Butler phrased those words, he averted his gaze away.

"Did something happen?", Wendell asked curiously.

"The truth is..... the young lady told me to retail this to you again..."

"'Just tell father that I don't want to see him!!', was what she shouted again, this time...", the Butler dictated.

Wendell started to have a conflicted expression after perceiving this. He didn't expect Sherryl to say such thing, for the second time at that.

He started to doubt things from then, while considering what his daughter meant by that at the same time.

"You better not be lying to me, Giles."

"I have served the master for so many years. I swear, in the name of the Tylers, that I am not lying."

To swear with one's noble title was to put its whole in the line when one makes mistakes on his judgment or others. The way that the Butler has done something similar to placing his whole in a bet for a gamble made Wendell put his trust onto him.

Thereafter, the Duke stood and called for one of the maids.

"Preserve this meal as it is for now. I will be back after a short while.", he commanded.

"Giles. Escort me to Sherryl's room."

"As you wish, your grace."

The Duke, then, started to take his steps to get to his destination with the Butler that served to keep him company.

Why is she doing this...?! Wendell thought.

[]Melissa's Perspective []

"Hic....... hic.....", I cried with my hands, wiping my tears.

The part below my eyes were getting red since I have been crying for a long time; ever since the Butler left.

And that way, even though I shed my tears, I grinned soon after I heard a knock and a voice from the entrance of my room.

"Sherryl, are you there?", a familiar voice called out.

I gently walked away from my bed and slowly opened the door, sniffing.

*Creak* The door has opened slightly with my head that peeked at the opponent from the other side.

"Papa.........?", I uttered with my eyes wavering.

As soon as the Duke and the Butler saw me, they widened their eyes for different reasons, I suppose.

Not long after that, the Duke kneeled before me and tenderly held my face with both of his hands.

"Were you crying.....?", he asked.

"Why... is papa doing this?.......", I responded.

My sudden question made the Duke stiffen up.

"What do you mean?"

"B-because....... the butler...!"

"W-what did I do to you, young miss....?!!"

Before I could finish my sentence, the Butler interrupted me with his flustered state.

He looked very panicky as Wendell and I turned our gazes to him. And as a result, the Duke stared at him for a moment while he looked like he was suspicious of Giles.

When I noticed that, I forced myself not to have a smirk as much as I could.

It was quite amusing to see Wendell's trust toward the old geezer to fade away even if it was just for a tiny bit.

And the most entertaining was that I was just getting started with my performance and yet look at this!

However, like I said-

This is just the beginning of the show.