Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Father's Lies♦

The next day, Helen left the mansion without leaving any traces.

I was thrilled that she was finally kicked out since there would be less trouble in the near future. But even so, I still have three... no- four people that I should be cautious of in this mansion.

I still have a long way to go, huh... I thought while I let out a sigh.

It was a must to slowly get rid of them because if I did it too soon, I would be the one who'd be suspicious in the Duke's eyes. And with that, his trust toward me would fade and so will his back-up whenever I am in need of his support. Hence, I would be in disadvantage when it becomes like that.

This was a lot more tiring than I expected.

"You seem down, Sherryl.", the Duke said after witnessing how I seemed blue during our meal.

"Please don't worry about it, father.", I replied, smiling.

And after that, I merely continued to eat my lunch while I pretended not to see the Duke that stiffened up for some reason.

"'Father', I see..."

"Pardon?"

"It's nothing."

Hmm..... So he won't bring it up.

'Papa'. Yesterday, that was how I addressed him.

Truthfully, I did that on purpose to let him think that I unconsciously blurted out that word since I couldn't hold everything in anymore. However, that was just a show to make the act more believable and nothing else.

But look at him right now, yearning for me to make the first move and call him like that. It's simply amusing to see, to the point that I snickered a lot in my mind.

Does he think that I would do what he desires for? Heck no.

How would I, a substitute daughter of his that he eventually abandoned (in my past life), want to reconcile with him like nothing happened.

You have abandoned me before, Duke Wendell. And even if it's not at present, it will happen again someday.

That's why, don't give me this crap.

I don't need your false affection.

Duke Wendell Acur von Shevaria.

At first, he was a savior that took me out from that lonely orphanage. And soon after, he gave me a wonderful name while he looked at me with his gentle ruby eyes.

"From now on, your name is Sherryl Faire von Shevaria.", he said to the quiet me that stared at his tender look.

Then, he caressed my head while in actual, he fixed my bedhair.

"Starting from this day, I will be your father. And you will be Sherryl, my one and only daughter", the Duke added with a genuine smile.

Just like that, I inherited his surname and became known as his child.

Then the days traveled so fast while we always dined together during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He taught me about the things that I was unaware of by himself whenever he was free. Even the tea parties during the three o'clock became a daily schedule between us two.

I was happy. So happy that I even thought, 'Ah... so this is how it feels to have a father.' with a sense of realization.

After all, I didn't have a dad back then. And I've wished to have a parent like the Duke to act as my own father for numerous times, when I was more younger.

Then before knowing, I greedily yearned for the lingering happiness to last forever. And never fade again, like what happened in the past.

But... my wish couldn't be granted.

"Papa, I'm sorry...", I sincerely apologized to the duke after we finished our dinner.

".......Why are you apologizing?", he questioned.

"Because....... Sherryl... entered that room.", I hesitantly replied with honesty.

(Note: She says her name since she speaks in a third person method.)

Thereafter, silence befall between the two of us. And breaking that silence, I uttered,

"S-so papa... was the girl in the portrait... Sherryl?"

"Why did you enter that place...", he said in a low voice.

"...Eh?"

"Nevermind. Go back to your room. You need to sleep early."

"Y-yes.", I briefly responded then quickly went away soon after that.

And from then-

Things started to go wrong.

Perhaps, it was I who prevented my wish to be granted all along.

If only I hadn't mentioned about the girl in the portrait...

No... even if I didn't talk about that, things still would've become the same.

Because no matter how many times the Duke would force himself to conceive that I was his late daughter,

I will never be Sherryl.

Come to think of it, soon after the day that we had dinner together, he slowly became distant from me.

At times, he was no longer present to dine with me. And he would no longer keep me company even if he looked like he was free.

Then, eventually... it became a rare occasion for the Duke to meet me face to face.

Even in our tea parties at the garden... I came to be the only one to attend it.

I would always dwell in that place and sit on my own chair while facing him. Then, we would giggle around as we talk about entertaining things.

But that moment, the seat that he always sat upon became vacant. And his voice that would chatter with me... was no longer heard.

The untouched tea on his side was getting cold. The sweets' flavor became bitter.

And then, I recalled his excuses...

'I'm sorry. Today, I have important matters to do today.'

Lies...! I confirmed your schedule and you were not busy today...!

'I'm sorry. I'm tired... I want to rest.'

Lies!! Today's the thirteenth time that you said that!!

'I'm sorry. Today, I...-'

"SHUT UP!!!", I yelled with all my might during the lonely tea party.

"Shut up......."

After I whispered those words that time, tears started to flow down my cheeks.

I cried, being aware of what's behind all of my father's lies.

"You just wanted to avoid me, didn't you? You should've just told me...!", I uttered with deep sorrow.

Then, I recalled one of his lines that I dearly held upon.

'Father loves you, Sherryl.'

"You're wrong...", I muttered.

"You don't love me any bit...!!"

"Papa-"

"You liar...!"