Chapter 83

Chapter 83: Obvious Signs

[]Third Person's POV []

"Hey, do you still remember?"

The maid that seemed to have been a long-time, close servant to the woman with the lavender hair that sat straight on her bed, quickly responded to the person's statement.

"What might you be talking about, Lady Olivia?"

While the woman continuously stared at one of the windows as if it has become her habit, she replied.

"Would you happen to remember the pet hamster that my parents gave me as a present?"

"......I do remember. If my memory serves me right, the previous masters gifted it to you so you wouldn't feel lonely when you get bedridden again back in the day.", the servant hesitantly answered.

"But it died right?"

"Well-"

An awkward silence has befallen, followed by a somewhat heavy atmosphere. Nonetheless, it didn't take that long before the conversation could continue again.

"Before it became my pet, I have read in a book that hamsters tend to get stressed easily, leading it to die. That's why, I tried to be careful, but..."

"In the end, it still died."

Afterward, she finally faced her head and attention toward the handmaiden that she exchanged topics with.

"Why do you think did that happen?"

The question made the attendant feel chills down by her spine, for some reason. And as a cold sweat billowed down her left cheek, she felt nervous and that became the main cause of her to remain speechless although it might've been not the best response to the person that kept staring at her right now as if she was waiting for an answer.

The Marchioness' mouth slowly opened and spoke.

"It's because it was trapped in a cage."

"It wanted to live the way it was supposed to be. It wanted to escape from its cage so it could feel what the others experienced, without the chains that pulled it away from its normal habitat."

"We were too similar. That hamster...... and me."

The maid lifted her head with a particular face at the pitiful sight of the lady whom she served for so many years already. She wavered soon after she heard her spilling out her thoughts when this has never happened before. She sympathized with her at the thought that her emotions were clearly unstable at the moment, to the point that this would happen.

"Milady..."

"But, it's strange.", Olivia continued.

"Right now, I am quite pleased of the fact that I'm locked inside the cage."

With a forced smile, she uttered as if she was trying to change her opinion about things positively and more precisely.

"Perhaps, the cage wasn't a bad place all along. Perhaps, it was meant to be a shield!"

"A shelter to protect myself from the threats around me."

The maid narrowed her eyes, being pained just by watching her master's figure right now. To her who had watched over the Marchioness ever since the person was but an infant, she felt like baring her fangs toward the current head of the house so that she could do something for her. However, she knew her limits and was quite aware of the fact that the lady still loved that person even then. Thus, she clenched her hands tightly from her frustrated emotions.