Chapter 106

Chapter 106: Wrong Timings

[]Melissa's Perspective []

It was a peaceful afternoon, brimming with hazy sunlight as it peeked through the enormous casements, bringing light to the room. I shut myself inside with an opened book in hand, yet as though my reading has been disrupted by something very puzzling amid, I thoroughly closed it up.

Having a good look of the cover, it was one of the unread romance-themed novels that the Duchess left behind for me. These days, I couldn't bring myself to read straight, all because of the lingering attachments toward the person that paid for this book without asking myself for any sort of exchange, back in the day.

Whereas, I end up to be unnecessarily reminiscing about the tear-jerking, good old days, though it's as pathetic as it may seem.

But truth to be told, there were two other reasons related to this one other than the one that's described above.

Firstly, being reminded of the Duchess equally made me have recollections of her will regarding her son, also known as my half-brother, Lucian.

In the end, during the night where we've had arguments at the greenhouse, when supposedly, we should've eaten dinner together at ease; he couldn't pull off a second hit or more to the face or neck that I've left vulnerable to his eyes at the time.

To be honest, I was partly disappointed that his pride took over the situation, leading him to be incapable of grasping his vengeance by the means of my death, which I've openly expected highly from him.

However, half of myself felt relief. Perhaps, because I brightly thought that I could make it through the situation without struggling an injury, further than the blow that I took from my brother. But such feelings could've also dwelled from my responsibility, from the fact that I took upon the Duchess' request to take good care of Lucian in her stead.

After all, though it might've been twist created by coincidence, I somehow managed to prevent his hands from being stained with another's blood, just because of ugly, unfulfilled desires such as revenge. If the Duchess were to see that kind of scene, she probably wouldn't have favored it, specially because she had a complex relative to the subject.

For she was a person, experienced of murder, no matter it was something forced for her to do.

That would be enough to explain how she wouldn't like her beloved child to grow up like a sinful criminal like her.

Going back to the main topic, after my last meeting with Lucian, I have yet to meet or talk with him at all, since then. Nevertheless, I didn't really know what would be the right word of choice to make up with our conflict that night, thus I could only be reassured of the fact that the two of us haven't crossed paths via coincidence yet, as of late.

"......"

*Flump!*

I silently held out the book at the front with both hands, and intentionally bumped myself down the soft-textured, long sofa that I sat onto till a second ago.

Staring at it, I grasped the feeling that I kind of bored myself by reading the typical series of events that would be read in every novel of the genre, when it was supposed to be something I preferred all this time.

That's right. That was the last reason to why I came to the result of pausing the progress of my reading.

I dunno why, but it's becoming uninteresting...... I straightforwardly proclaimed in a natural tone, inside my mind.

It was then that I helplessly carried out a series of suspicious-looking movements, taking a peek at a certain book, buried and hidden below another light, romance-themed novel, out of reflex.