Chapter 67

Chapter 67: Prevention

While me and Aiden were just about to set our feet onto the main entrance, we could hear voices that argued to each other.

"If father can go, then why can't I?!"

"Please forgive me young master, but I cannot allow you to as per his grace's orders."

From afar, I had a glimpse of the servants murmuring to each other because of the uproar. Despite how they whispered to each other's ears, several had their voices in a perceivable volume that even I managed to hear it.

"Just what is going on here...?"

"Didn't you hear? The Duchess tried to kill the young miss with her bare hands."

"...What?!"

The moment Lucian's cold gaze came to the maids' sight, they flinched and shut their mouths in less than a second.

'My mother isn't a murderer.'

As I stood still above the stairs with Lucian not noticing my presence, I watched how that statement was solidly written on his face. But it was also quite promising to see his fists tremble from being doubtful of that belief.

Amid these occurrences, another person entered the scene, coming from the entrance door.

The man that suddenly barged in immediately grabbed everyone's attention. As much as I foresaw, the message that he was about to deliver could only rub salt into the wound.

During the time that our stares were focused on his panting figure, he uttered.

"News came in! They said the Duchess has-!"

He took deep breaths once more before he could even finish his sentence.

"Cut the shit. The Duchess has what?", Lucian impatiently asked.

"The Duchess..."

"...was said to have passed away."

The room was enveloped with silence, not until Lucian began to speak in a faintly shaking tone.

"W-what... are you talking about?", he whispered with a conflicted expression while he slowly approached the man.

"The Duchess of Shevaria technically didn't kill anyone. Why did they give her a death sentence?! Furthermore, this early..."

"Apparently, it wasn't a decision made by the court..."

Even if it was slight, Lucian flinched from the other person's words, and stiffened up like a rock.

"Then... are you saying that-"

"Mother...... was murdered?"

While the messenger shifted his head away from Lucian's direction, he gave him a response.

"My condolences, young master."

Everyone of lower status than the young Duke dared not to speak after hearing the news. Frankly, I was thankful that the attendants knew how to read the atmosphere this moment. If not, Lucian wouldn't have pardoned their rude actions.

"As I've assumed, I need to go there."

The head butler panicked.

"Young master-"

"Why don't you take a good look of yourself at the mirror first, elder brother?", I interrupted, going down the staircase with Aiden following me from behind.